Sexual Assault Resources at SSU

What to do if you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted

1. You are not alone. Qualified, caring, confidential help is available on-campus and in the community. Sexual Assault can happen to anyone of any gender, age, or circumstance.

2. If an assault of any kind has occurred, go to a safe location away from the perpetrator.

3. To report the incident to the nearest Police jurisdiction, call 911.

  • Police reporting doesn't obligate a individual to press charges or seek prosecution, and steps are taken to protect the victim's identity and privacy.
  • Police can provide assistance, advocacy, and information about medical services and the numerous support resources available and well as about pressing charges or filing a sex discrimination complaint.
  • Consistent with the victim's wishes, police can arrange for a forensic sexual assault exam which must be done in the region's legally authorized medical setting so evidence can be collected in conjunction with the provision of relevant medical care. To preserve evidence for this kind of exam, avoid showering, bathing, laundering clothing, or otherwise trying to clean things up until evidence has been collected.
  • SSU Police ( are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. They are located in Verdot Village and can be reached by dialing 911 when on campus, or by calling 707- 664-4444 from any location. They will also help facilitate contact with the appropriate law enforcement agency if the assault happened in an off-campus jurisdiction.

4. Get confidential medical care, advocancy & support to explore your options. This can be before, after, or while you are uncertain about contacting police or getting an evidentiary forensic sexual assault exam.

  1. On-Campus SSU Healthcare, Advocacy & Support Resources Include:
  2. Off-Campus Healthcare, Advocacy, & Support:
    • If you prefer off campus medical care or the SHC is closed, see the list of local resources, or your private physician.
    • A forensic sexual assault exam arranged by police includes relevant off-campus healthcare.
    • Verity (formerly United Against Sexual Assault) provides local off-campus victim advocacy. The 24 /7 hotline is 707 545-7273.
    • The National Rape Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE provides similar 24/7 assistance if you're out of the area.

5. Other Options: A student or employee who has experienced a campus-related sexual assault or harassment may file an informal or formal sex discrimination complaint with the SSU Title IX Coordinator/DHR Administrator, Joyce Suzuki at 707.664.4470, to seek administrative assistance, investigation, and resolution. This is available, whether or not the victim chooses to report to Police or pursue a criminal complaint. See CSU Policy Prohibiting Discrimination, Harassment & Retaliation Against Students at or CSU Procedure for Discrimination, or CSU Procedure for Discrimination, Harassment & Retaliation Complaints for Employees.

6. Anyone that becomes aware of a sexual assault should report it. For campus-related circumstances, call SSU Police at 707 664-4444 and/or Joyce Suzuki, Employee Relations & Compliance at 707 664-4470.

For prevention information see:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on Sexual Violence Prevention
Title IX Notice of Non-Discrimination.
What Everyone Should Know About Date Rape Drugs
Responding to Sexual Assault - A guide for SSU Students & their Supporters