Professor Elaine Leeder
- Dean of the School of Social Sciences
- Professor of Sociology
- Ph.D., Cornell University
Areas of Expertise:
Sociology of the Family, Family Violence, Social Movements and Social Change, Social Policy
Elaine Leeder was born in Lynn, Massachusetts and has her BA in Sociology from Northeastern University in Boston. Her MSW is from Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University in NY, her MPH is from University of California at Berkeley and her PhD is from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. She taught Sociology for 23 years at Ithaca College and is now the Dean of the School of Social Sciences at SSU and a Professor of Sociology. In addition to her dean responsibilities she teaches Introduction to Sociology and Family Violence. She also writes articles and speaks on topics related to the Holocaust. Leeder loves working with students and also enjoys swimming, biking and canoeing. For additional information, see: my website.
- SOCI 201: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 497: Family Violence
- Leeder, Elaine (ed.). 2007. Inside and Out: Women, Prison, and Therapy. New York: Routledge.
- Leeder, Elaine. 2003. The Family in Global Perspective: A Gendered Journey. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Leeder, Elaine. 1994. Treating Abuse in Families: A Feminist and Community Approach. New York: Springer.
- Leeder, Elaine. 1993. The Gentle General: Rose Pesotta, Anarchist and Labor Organizer. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.