Heather Kohler Flynn
- Lecturer in Sociology
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis
Office: Stevenson 2084
Areas of Expertise:
Youth and Adolescence, Social Relationships, Social Networks, Social Psychology, Gender, Research Methods
Dr. Flynn’s dissertation focused on friendship characteristics and quality during adolescence and early adulthood. Her current projects include: the influence of parental behavior on adolescent friendship quality, friendship characteristics across the life course, and the influence of gender and extracurricular activity participation on adolescent self-esteem.
- SOCI 300: Sociological Research Methods
- SOCI 301: Statistics for Sociologists
- SOCI 312: Sociology of Gender
- SOCI 441: Methods Seminar: U.S. by the Numbers
- SOCI 498: Senior Seminar: Marriage and Family
- SOCI 498: Senior Seminar: Sports in Society
- Flynn, Heather Kohler, Diane H. Felmlee, and Rand Conger. Forthcoming. “The Social Context of Adolescent Friendships: Parents, Peers, and Romantic Partners.” Youth and Society. http://yas.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/11/27/0044118X14559900
- Flynn, Heather Kohler. Forthcoming. “Self-Esteem.” in The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies. Nancy A. Naples Editor-in-Chief.
- Gregson, Jennifer, Marcy Sowa, and Heather Kohler Flynn. 2011. "Evaluating Form and Function of Regional Partnerships: Applying Social Network Analysis to the Network for a Healthy California, 2001-2007." Journal of Education and Nutrition Behavior Volume 43; Number 4S2: 67-74.
- Felmlee, Diane H., Heather Kohler Flynn, and Peter Riley Bahr. 2008. “Too Much of a Good Thing: Fatal Attraction in Intimate Relationships.” Free Inquiry in Creative Sociology 36(1): 3-14.
- Smith, Vicki, Heather Kohler Flynn, and Jonathan Isler. 2006. “Finding Jobs and Building Careers: Reproducing Inequality in State-Sponsored Job Search Organizations.” In Worker Participation: Practices and Possibilities, edited by V. Smith. Research in the Sociology of Work, Volume 16. Oxford: JAI/Elsevier Press.
- Flynn, Heather Kohler. 2003. “Self Esteem Theory and Measurement: A Critical Review” thirdspace (http://www.thirdspace.ca/), Volume 3.