Arts & Humanities Learning Community Peer Mentor
Title: Arts & Humanities Learning Community Peer Mentor
During the 2013-14 academic year, the School of Arts and Humanities will offer nine different year-long Learning Communities for incoming freshmen. Each Learning Community will consist of 75-150 students and two to three faculty members. In addition, each community will have a different theme. Each semester students will:
Students who successfully complete the two semester sequence will receive credit for GE areas A3 and C3.
Each Arts and Humanities learning community will have a different theme. Peer mentors will be assigned to each thematic learning community. They must attend the weekly large group lecture and also be available to serve as mentor for the discussion sections, which meet for two hours Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays. They will be expected to participate during the seminars in discussions of the course readings. In addition, Peer Mentors will spend time meeting with students outside class to provide advising and peer contact/support during the academic year.
This is a two semester commitment, and Peer Mentors must be available in late August and every Friday afternoon from 1-3pm for training.
1. Foster Positive Relationships within the Classroom
2. Create Individual Bonds with Students
3. Introduce Students to Campus Resources
4. Serve as a Role Model
5. Promote an acceptance and understanding of differences
Must also be available to attend Spring Pre-Service on April 12, 2013 from 2-5pm.
2. Preferred: Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75. Minimum of 2 semesters completed at SSU by Fall. Basic Knowledge of computers, SSU e-mail, and other campus computer systems.
How to Apply for this Position:
1. Go to www.sonoma.edu/saem/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning November 1st, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
2. Attend an Information Session. Dates are listed in the application packet.
3. Sign up for the Foundations of Leadership Class, UNIV 238.
4. Submit your online application no later than 4:30pm on January 25, 2013.
5. Sign up January 29-31, 2013 on-line for group process and individual interviews.
Questions about the Arts & Humanities Peer Mentor position should be addressed to the following coordinator:
Julie Greathouse, Transition Programs Coordinator, 664-3305