Arts & Humanities Learning Community Peer Mentor
Title: Arts & Humanities Learning Community Peer Mentor
During the 2015-16 academic year, the School of Arts and Humanities will offer nine different year-long Learning Communities for incoming freshmen. Each Learning Community will consist of 75-150 students and two to three faculty members. In addition, each community will have a different theme. Each semester students will:
Each Arts and Humanities learning community will have a different theme. Peer mentors will be assigned to each thematic learning community. They must attend the weekly large group lecture and also be available to serve as mentor for the discussion sections, which meet for two hours Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays. They will be expected to participate during the seminars in discussions of the course readings. In addition, Peer Mentors will spend time meeting with students outside class to provide advising and peer contact/support during the academic year.
This is a two semester commitment, and Peer Mentors must be available in late August and every Friday afternoon from 1-3pm for training.
1. Foster Positive Relationships within the Classroom
2. Create Individual Bonds with Students
3. Introduce Students to Campus Resources
4. Serve as a Role Model
5. Promote an acceptance and understanding of differences and diversity
Mature, self-motivated, quick learner, able to work with minimum supervision and in teams. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills needed. Extensive knowledge of the Sonoma State University campus and programs. Must be able to work with diverse populations. Satisfactory completion of the University 238 course (B or better). A similar course of parallel gateway leadership experience may be substituted for this requirement. Minimum cumulative, and semesterly, GPA of 2.5 at time of application and must maintain 2.5 GPA throughout hiring and employment. Must also be available to attend Spring Pre-Service on April 17, 3-6pm.
Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75. Minimum of 2 semesters completed at SSU by Fall. Basic knowledge of computers, SSU e-mail, and other campus computer systems.
How to Apply for this Position:
1. Go to http://www.sonoma.edu/studentaffairs/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning November 3rd 2014, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
2. Attend an Information Session.
ii) November 12th at 7 pm Student Center; Dry Creek Valley Room
iii) January 21st at 7 pm in Student Center; Sonoma Valley Room
3. Sign up for the Leadership Class, UNIV 238.
4. Submit all pieces of the online application no later than 4:30 pm on January 30, 2015. (This includes the letter of recommendation)
5. Sign up February 2nd-6th, 2015 on-line for individual interviews. Peer Mentor candidates are required to complete a comprehensive presentation during their individual interview.
Questions about the Arts & Humanities Peer Mentor position should be addressed to the following coordinator: