Chemistry/Biochemistry Peer Mentor
Title: Peer Mentor for Chemistry & Biochemistry
Student will assist in efforts to attract and retain freshman chemistry and biochemistry majors by attending the critical thinking course (Sci 102 AB), providing SI instruction, and being available to help with individual concerns. Students will also help with transitional curriculum development, and outreach activities.<.p>
Peer Mentors must be available in late August and every Friday afternoon from 1-3pm for training.
1. Required: Chemistry or Biochemistry major in good academic standing. Satisfactory completion of University 238 course (B or better); A similar course of parallel gateway leadership experience may be substituted for this requirement. The student should be mature, self-motivated, quick learner, able to work in a team environment with little or no supervision; Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; knowledge of Sonoma State University campus and programs; must be able to work with a diverse group of students.
Must also be available to attend Spring Pre-Service on April 17, 3-6pm.
Preferred: Chemistry or Biochemistry major that went through the CHEM 125 series, major that is currently active in department research, and a student that is active in the chemistry club.
1. Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75. Minimum of 2 semesters completed at SSU by Fall. Basic Knowledge of computers, SSU e-mail, and other campus computer systems.
How to Apply for this Position:
1. Go to www.sonoma.edu/studentaffairs/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning November 3rd 2014, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
2. Attend an Information Session.
3. Sign up for the Leadership Class, UNIV 238.
4. Submit all pieces of the online application no later than 4:30 pm on January 30, 2015. (This includes the letter of recommendation)
5. Sign up February 2nd-6th, 2015 on-line for individual interviews. Peer Mentor candidates are required to complete a comprehensive presentation during their individual interview.
Questions about this position should be addressed to the following coordinator: