Chemistry/Biochemistry Peer Mentor
Title: Peer Mentor for Chemistry & Biochemistry
Department: Chemistry Department
Position Offered: Student Assistant
Compensation: 8 Hours/Week @ $8/hr
Student will assist in efforts to attract and retain freshman chemistry and biochemistry majors by attending the critical thinking course (Sci 102 AB), providing SI instruction, and being available to help with individual concerns. Students will also help with transitional curriculum development, and outreach activities.
This is a one semester commitment (Fall only), and Peer Mentors must be available in late August and every Friday afternoon from 1-3pm for training.
- Create individual bonds with students and help them transition from high school to college
- Introduce students to campus resources
- Serve as a role model both academically and personally
- Introduce and provide students with tutoring resources to make sure they are keeping up with college work
- Interface and work with biology faculty members
- Develop and present transition curriculum
Must also be available to attend Spring Pre-Service on April 25, 3-6pm.
- Required: Biology major in good academic standing. The student should be mature, self-motivated, quick learner, able to work in a team environment with little or no supervision; Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; knowledge of Sonoma State University campus and programs; must be able to work with a diverse group of students.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75. Minimum of 2 semesters completed at SSU by Fall. Basic Knowledge of computers, SSU e-mail, and other campus computer systems.
- 2. Preferred: Chemistry or Biochemistry major that went through the chem 125 series, major that is currently active in department research, and a student that is active in the chemistry club.
How to Apply for this Position:
- Go to www.sonoma.edu/saem/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning November 1st, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
- Attend an Information Session. Dates are listed in the application packet.
- Sign up for the Foundations of Leadership Class, UNIV 238.
- Submit your online application no later than 4:30pm on January 31, 2014.
- Sign up January 29-31, 2013 on-line for group process and individual interviews.
Questions about the Stretch Peer Mentor position should be addressed to the following coordinator:
Carmen Works, Professor, Chemistry, email@example.com