FIG Peer Advisor
Title: Freshman Interest Group Peer Advisor
One of the signature points of the Freshman Interest Group (FIG) Program is the utilization of Peer Advisors who play a critical role in connecting the classroom to the living community. Each FIG will have one Peer Advisor. This is a year-long commitment. In the fall, the Peer Advisor will be required to fulfill the role of a Peer Mentor in a specialized section of University 102, but also to set-up outside of the class field trips, events with faculty members and study groups. These specialized FIG sections of University 102 will cover the traditional transition themes of University 102, but will only be taught by a faculty member and the Peer Advisor. In the Spring, the Peer Advisor will be required to independently teach a weekly one-unit seminar. Peer Advisors must be available in late August and every Friday from 1-3pm for training for both Fall and Spring semesters.
1. Fulfill Job Responsibilities of an Univ 102 Peer Mentor
2. Connect Classroom Initiatives to the Living Community
3. Teach a One Unit Spring Semester FIG Seminar
4. Coordinate with FIG Block Curriculum Faculty
5. Work Collaboratively With FIG Community Service Advisors (CSA)
Mature, self-motivated, quick learner, able to work with minimum supervision and in teams. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills needed. Extensive knowledge of the Sonoma State University campus and programs. Must be able to work with diverse populations. Satisfactory completion of University 238 course (B or better); A similar course of parallel gateway leadership experience may be substituted for this requirement; successful performance in a prior SAEM leadership position. Minimum cumulative, and semesterly, GPA of 2.75 at time of application and must maintain 2.75 GPA throughout hiring and employment. Must have the ability to be available in the residential community.
**Must also be available to attend Spring Pre-Service on Friday, April 17, 2015 from 3pm-6pm. This will entail MOSAIC Pre-Service and Peer Mentor Pre-Service
Minimum of 4 semesters completed at SSU by Fall. Basic knowledge of computers, SSU e-mail, and other campus computer systems. Knowledge of the FIG program.
How to Apply for this Position:
1. Go to http://www.sonoma.edu/studentaffairs/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning November 3rd 2014, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
2. Attend an Information Session.
4. Submit all pieces of the online application no later than 4:30 pm on January 30, 2015. (This includes the letter of recommendation)
5. Sign up February 2nd-6th, 2015 on-line for individual interviews. Peer Mentor candidates are required to complete a comprehensive presentation during their individual interview.
Direct questions about the FIG Peer Advisor position to the following coordinator:
Makayla Guild, Freshman Learning Communities Assistant Coordinator