2013 Summer Orientation Leader
Summer Bridge Peer Leader
Summer Orientation Leaders (O Leaders) are the first point of contact for new students and their parents. O Leaders are responsible for facilitating a successful transition to the University by providing key services and support in the delivery of SSU's Summer Orientation Program. O Leaders assume positions of leadership and involvement in all aspects of the Orientation program.
O Leaders provide opportunities for first-time freshmen to interact and get to know one another in order to create a welcoming experience. They introduce incoming students to both the academic and extracurricular world of being an SSU college student. Additionally, they provide initial academic advising, aid in course selection and scheduling, and assistance with registration. O Leaders work directly with students and their parents to provide valuable information, insight, and support.
1. Community Builder
In both large and small group settings, facilitate trust-building exercises and foster a supportive environment to assist students in transitioning to a new social and academic setting.
2. Campus Resource Specialist
Provide students an introduction to the diverse array of campus resources available at SSU.
3. Peer Academic Adviser
Work with faculty and staff members to provide advising and scheduling assistance to students. Assist students in selecting appropriate first semester courses and introduce students to the electronic registration process (PeopleSoft).
4. University Ambassador
Serve as a role model to new students by displaying a positive attitude and willingness to help. Represent and support the mission and values of the University in all interactions and functions of the position; this includes adherence to all University policies.
5. Overnight On-Campus Resident Assistant Live on campus in housing provided by the University for the duration of the Summer Orientation Program. Serve as a resource and emergency contact for Orientation participants staying overnight in the residential community.
How to Apply for this Position:
1. Go to www.sonoma.edu/studentaffairs/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning December 1st, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
2. Attend an Information Session. Dates are listed in the application packet.
3. Sign up for the Foundations of Leadership Class, UNIV 238.
4. Submit your online application no later than 4:30pm on January 29, 2014.
5. Sign up January 29 to February 5, 2014 on-line for group process and individual interviews.
Questions about the Summer Orientation Leader position should be addressed to the following coordinator:
Julie Greathouse, Transition Programs Coordinator, 664-3305