2015 Summer Orientation Leader Position Description
Summer Orientation Leaders (O Leaders) are the first point of contact for new students and their parents. O Leaders are responsible for facilitating a successful transition to the University by providing key services and support in the delivery of SSU's Summer Orientation Program. O Leaders assume positions of leadership and involvement in all aspects of the Orientation program.
O Leaders provide opportunities for first-time freshmen to interact and get to know one another in order to create a welcoming experience. They introduce incoming students to both the academic and extracurricular world of being an SSU college student. Additionally, they provide initial academic advising, aid in course selection and scheduling, and assistance with registration. O Leaders work directly with students and their parents to provide valuable information, insight, and support.
1. Community Builder
In both large and small group settings, facilitate trust-building exercises and foster a supportive environment to assist students in transitioning to a new social and academic setting.
2. Campus Resource Specialist
Provide students an introduction to the diverse array of campus resources available at SSU.
3. Peer Academic Adviser
Work with faculty and staff members to provide advising and scheduling assistance to students. Assist students in selecting appropriate first semester courses and introduce students to the electronic registration process (PeopleSoft).
4. University Ambassador
Serve as a role model to new students by displaying a positive attitude and willingness to help. Represent and support the mission and values of the University in all interactions and functions of the position; this includes adherence to all University policies.
5. Overnight On-Campus Resident Assistant
Live on campus in housing provided by the University for the duration of the Summer Orientation Program. Serve as a resource and emergency contact for Orientation participants staying overnight in the residential community.
Must also be available to attend Spring Pre-Service on April 24, 3-6pm.
How to Apply for this Position:
1. Go to www.sonoma.edu/studentaffairs/leadership to access all job descriptions. Beginning November 3rd 2014, go to the same website to access and submit your online application.
2. Attend an Information Session. a) Student Academic Services Position Informational Sessions will be held on:
These positions are: ALL Peer Mentor positions, FIG Peer Advisor, Humanities, Interactive Theater Project, Mosaic Peer Advisor, Summer Bridge Leader, and Summer Orientation Leader
3. Sign up for the Leadership Class, UNIV 238.
4. Submit all pieces of the online application no later than 4:30 pm on January 30, 2015. (This includes the letter of recommendation)
5. Sign up Feb 2-6th, 2015 on-line for individual interviews.
6. Sign up March 6th, 2015, 3:30pm for Group Process.
Questions about the Summer Orientation Leader position should be addressed to the following coordinator: