STUDENT COMMENCEMENT SPEAKER
The Student Speaker Selection Committee is now accepting applications for students to deliver a Commencement address to their fellow graduates. One speaker will be chosen from nominees from the Schools of of Education, Arts & Humanities, and Business & Economics to speak at the morning ceremony. A second speaker will be chosen from nominees from the Schools Science & Technology and Social Sciences to speak at the afternoon ceremony.
- be graduating students who received a bachelor’s or master’s degree in December 2010 or will receive a bachelor’s or master’s degree in May or August 2011.
- have at least a 3.0 SSU GPA (grade equivalent for Hutchins students will be accepted).
- be able to demonstrate active engagement through service to the community or University, club or athletic participation.
- fully complete the Student Speaker Application form.
- provide a nomination from a faculty or staff member.
- prepare the speech you plan to deliver for consideration.
- include a bio that will be used in the Commencement program (approximately 200 words).
- deliver application with nomination, bio, and draft speech to Andrea Rodriguez-Jereb, Special Events Manager, in Stevenson 1062 no later than 4 p.m. on Monday, April 15, 2011.
Printed application forms are also available in the University Affairs Division (Stevenson 1062), and at the front desk of the Student Union (1st floor). Applicants who are chosen to proceed to the audition phase will be notified by Monday, April 18, 2011. Auditions will be held Tuesday, April 26, 2011.
If selected, student speakers will sit with the Platform Party, have breakfast or lunch with the Platform Party, and invite family members to sit in the VIP assigned seating area.
Criteria for Speeches
The theme of this year’s speech is the distinctiveness of the SSU experience.
The selection committee will be comprised of students, faculty and staff (5-7 committee members total).
Texts of the speeches submitted by nominees will be judged by the following criteria:
- The speech should be serious but entertaining, and should present a positive message. It should be relevant to graduates in general and to SSU graduates in particular, yet should also address the general audience.
- Is the speech well put together? Does it flow well? Does it have a good beginning, middle and end that delivers its message clearly?
- Articulation and Presentation Style of Speaker
- The speaker should use clear and expressive language and be able to hold the listener’s interest.
- Speeches must have original content and be developed expressly for the Commencement ceremony.
- The speech should be motivating, unifying and engaging.
- The speech should be approximately 5 minutes.
Proceed to the Student Commencement Speaker Application Form (pdf).