Barbara Ritter, Ed.D, FNP
Welcome to my web page! Permit me to introduce myself. I am a Board-Certified Family Nurse Practitioner as well as a Doctor of Education, and Clinical Nurse Specialist. I received my Doctoral degree from the University of San Francisco, Master’s degree as a Clinical Nurse Specialist from University of California, San Francisco, and Post-Master’s Family Nurse Practitioner degree from Sonoma State University. I have over thirty years of clinical experience in Emergency, Critical Care and Family Practice, am former Director of Advanced Practice Programs as well as Instructor, at the University of San Francisco, and a Lecturer for Sonoma State University, Family Nurse Practitioner Program.
I enjoy working in a community setting where patient centered care comes first and believe that being a health care provider is a privilege which involves working together as a team to meet the challenges of diagnosing and treating acute and chronic illnesses, empowering patients to understand and manage their health problems, make lifestyle changes and engage in preventive health care.
I have a rich health care background and am well equipped as a clinician, educator, writer, researcher, and consultant. I serve as board member for the Marin Nurse Practitioner Association and the California Association for Nurse Practitioners, North Bay. My recent publications pertain to the future of health care, evidence-based practice and clinical reasoning.
On a personal note, I am an avid environmentalist and health enthusiast who enjoys nature, writing poetry, photography, organic gardening, hiking, cycling, and yoga.
- 2011-Ritter, B.J. and Geiger, D.C. (2011). The future of healthcare: Are you prepared? CANP Connections, Summer. Retrieved from: http://canpweb.org/
- 2009 - Fonteyn, M.E. & Ritter, B.J. Clinical reasoning in nursing. In J. Higgs & M. Jones (Eds.) Clinical Reasoning in the Health Profession, 3rd ed. Oxford, England: Butterworth Heinemann.
- 2003 - Ritter, B.J. Handheld computers and evidence-based practice. CANP Connections, 16(3), 7,
- 2003 - Ritter, B.J. An analysis of expert nurse practitioners’ diagnostic reasoning. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 15, 126-130.
- 2001 - Ritter, B.J. (2001). Considering an evidence-based practice. The Nurse Practitioner, 26(5), 63-65.
- 2000 - Ritter, B.J. (2000). An analysis of expert nurse practitioners’ diagnostic reasoning. CCNP Connections, 13(5), 7.
- 1998 - Muma, L. & Ritter, B. (1998). Chest x-ray interpretation. http://NPs.freeservers.com
- 1998 - Muma, L. & Ritter, B. (1998). Ekg interpretation. http://NPs.freeservers.com
- Bitter, B.J. (1998). Critical thinking and nursing. http://NPs.freeservers.com
- Ritter, B.J. (1998). Educational reform to meet changing health care environments. http://NPs.freeservers.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nichols Hall 132, 707/664-2652