The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychologists - An excellent source for I/O career information
The link to the SSU mentor site is "ssumentor.org"
Jordan, C.H. & Zanna, M.P. (1992). How to read an article in social psychology
Charmaz, K. (2010). How to write an abstract, Sonoma State University
For those looking for help with APA format, here are two recommendations:
- Friedman, C. (February 22, 2014). How to get hired at Google, New York Times.
here to hear a recent NPR story about whether employment selection tests
are discriminatory as part of a current U.S. Supreme Court case.
- AAMC (September 7, 2011). The Evolving Medical School Admissions Interview.
- Richtel, M. (April 27, 2013). How big data is playing recruiter for specialized workers. New York Times.
- Quinn, R. (May 8, 2013). Do you have the right personality to be a secretary in 1959? Take this quiz to find out. Slate.com
- Quenqua, D. (August 5, 2013). Seeing Narcissists Everywhere. New York Times.
- Pittinger, D.J. (1993). Measuring the MBTI...and coming up short. Journal of Career Planning and Placement.
- Click here to hear NPR story about how I/O psychologists are helping to assess whether women should be in combat.
- Take Two story: What business leaders might learn from NFL Wonderlic Test
- Ritztel, M. (April 26, 2014). The search for inner lie detectors. New York Times.
- Miller, C.M. (March 6, 2015). A racy silicon valley lawsuit and more subtle questions about sex discrimination. New York Times.
- Yarow, J. (2014). This is the internal grading system Google uses for its employees and you should to. Slate.com
- Peck, D. (December, 2013). They're watching you at work. Atlantic Monthly
- Otterman, S. & Gebelok, R. (February 25, 2012). In teacher ratings, good test scores are sometimes not good enough. New York Times.
- Dunning, D., Heath, C., & Suls, J. M. (2004). Flawed Self-Assessment: Implications for Health, Education, and the Workplace. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 5(3), 69-106. doi:10.1111/j.1529-1006.2004.00018.x
- Daughtery, C. & Hardy, Q. (March 15, 2015). Managers turn to computer games, aiming for more efficient employees. New York Times.
- Click here to see a July 2014 graph of CEO pay and stock performance put together by Businessweek
Group and Team Dynamics
- Woolley, A., Malone, T.W. & Chabris, C.F. (January 16, 2015). Why some teams are smarter than others. New York Times. Click here to try a version of the "theory of mind" test they use: http://kgajos.eecs.harvard.edu/mite/
- Kozlowski, S. J., & Ilgen, D. (2006). Enhancing the Effectiveness of Work Groups and Teams. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 7(3), 77-124. doi:10.1111/j.1529-1006.2006.00030.x
- Mannix, E., & Neale, M. A. (2005). What Differences Make a Difference? The Promise and Reality of Diverse Teams in Organizations. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 6(2), 31-55. doi:10.1111/j.1529-1006.2005.00022.x
- Kantor, J. (September 7, 2013). Harvard Business School Case Study, New York Times.
- Pentland, A. (2012) The New Science of Buidling Great Teams. Harvard Business Review.
Work Motivation, Emotions and Attitudes
- Oettingen, G. (2014). Rethinking Positive Thinking. Link to WOOP app.
- Weir, J. (December 2013). More than job satisfaction. American Psychological Association Monitor.
- Hsu, T. (November 10, 2012). Managers spend almost a day on slacker workers. Los Angeles Times.
- Dominus, S. (March 27, 2013). Is giving the secret to getting ahead? New York Times.
- Kantor, J. (February 21, 2013). A Titan's how to on breaking the glass ceiling. New York Times.
- Schwartz, T. & Porathm,m C. (May 30, 2015). Why you hate work. New York Times.
- Sawaoka, T. (2014). How your boss's ethics can hurt your career. Character & Context Blog.
- Tyler, T.R. (2012). Justice and Effective Cooperation. Social Justice Research, 25, 355-375.
- Flatow, S. (February 2, 2013). Let's make a deal. NPR Science Friday.
- Buntin, J. (July 10, 2013). What does it take to stop Crips and Bloods from Killing Each other? New York Times.
- Bowles, N. (September 15, 2013). Women in Tech Largely Unfazed by Men's behavior. San Francisco Chronicle.
- Greenberg, J. (2004). Managing Workplace Stress by Promoting Procedural Fairness. Organizational Dynamics, 33, 352-365.
Careers, Training and Professional Development
- Norotney, A. (2011). Psychology job forecast: partly sunny. American Psychological Association Monitor.
- Ely, R.J., Slate, P. & Amernen, C. (2014). Rethink what you "know" about high achieving women. Harvard Business Review.
- Goel, V. (1/13/2014). Matchmaker, Matchmaker, find me a job. New York Times.
here to access O*net - the occupational titles database.
- Goldfrab, R. W. (November 12, 2012). How to bridge hiring gap. New York Times.
- Knidekel, M. (March 16, 2013). Different strategies for being mentored. San Francisco Chronicle.
- Salas, E., Tannenbaum, S. I., Kraiger, K., & Smith-Jentsch, K. A. (2012). The science of training and development in organizations: What matters in practice. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 13(2), 74-101. doi:10.1177/1529100612436661
- Lam, B. (June 12, 2015). The danger of picking a major based on where hte jobs are. The Atlantic.
Leadership, Power and Politics
- Bryant, A. (March 12, 2011). Google's quest to build a better boss. New York Times.
- Healy, M. (September 24, 2012). Stress at the top? Not really, study finds. Los Angeles Times.
- Shane, S. & Mazzetti, M. (April 21, 2009). In accepting harsh tactics, no look at past use. New York Times.
- Porath, C. (June 19, 2015). No time to be nice. New York Times.
Individual (and Group) Decision-Making
Communication, Conflict and Negotiation
Stress, Stress Management and Health
Organization Culture, Diversity
- Grant, A. (2013). Givers take all: The hidden dimension of corporate culture. McKinsey Quarterly.
- Stewart, J.B. (March 15,2103). Looking for a lesson in Google's Perks. New York Times.
- Hill, L. (January 13, 2013). Job applicants need to find cultural fit. San Francisco Chronicle.
- The journal article cited by Hill: Rivera, L. A. (2012). Hiring as Cultural Matching: The Case of Elite Professional Service Firms. American Sociological Review, 77(6), 999-1022. doi:10.1177/0003122412463213
- Scully, S. (February 22, 2013). Racial graffiti at SSU prompts new efforts for tolerance. Press Democrat.
- The official site for the 2002 BBC replication of the Zimbardo (1973) prison study.
- Palmer, B. (August 5, 2013). What happens in racial sensitivity training? How counselors will try to talk the racism out of Riley Cooper. Slate.com
- Eichenwald, K. (2012). Microsoft's lost decade. Atlantic Monthly.
- Clancy, H. (March 20, 2015). What can big data reveal about corporate culture? Get ready for People Analytics. Fortune.
Heather Smith, Ph.D.