The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychologists - An excellent source for I/O career information
The link to the SSU mentor site is "ssumentor.org".
Jordan, C.H. & Zanna, M.P. (1992). How to read an article in social psychology
Charmaz, K. (2010). How to write an abstract, Sonoma State University
Two Videos that walk you through APA style/format:
- Miller, C.C. (February 28, 2016). The case for blind hiring. New York Times.
- Friedman, C. (February 22, 2014). How to get hired at Google, New York Times.
here to hear a recent NPR story about whether employment selection tests
are discriminatory as part of a current U.S. Supreme Court case.
- AAMC (September 7, 2011). The Evolving Medical School Admissions Interview.
- Richtel, M. (April 27, 2013). How big data is playing recruiter for specialized workers. New York Times.
- Quinn, R. (May 8, 2013). Do you have the right personality to be a secretary in 1959? Take this quiz to find out. Slate.com
- Pittinger, D.J. (1993). Measuring the MBTI...and coming up short. Journal of Career Planning and Placement.
- Click here to hear NPR story about how I/O psychologists are helping to assess whether women should be in combat.
- Take Two story: What business leaders might learn from NFL Wonderlic Test
- Ritztel, M. (April 26, 2014). The search for inner lie detectors. New York Times.
- Bishop, G. (March 7, 2016). The case for chaning the Combine. Sports Illustrated.
- Miller, C.M. (March 6, 2015). A racy silicon valley lawsuit and more subtle questions about sex discrimination. New York Times.
- Peck, D. (December, 2013). They're watching you at work. Atlantic Monthly
- Otterman, S. & Gebelok, R. (February 25, 2012). In teacher ratings, good test scores are sometimes not good enough. New York Times.
- Dunning, D., Heath, C., & Suls, J. M. (2004). Flawed Self-Assessment: Implications for Health, Education, and the Workplace. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 5(3), 69-106. doi:10.1111/j.1529-1006.2004.00018.x
Group and Team Dynamics
- Woolley, A., Malone, T.W. & Chabris, C.F. (January 16, 2015). Why some teams are smarter than others. New York Times. Click here to try a version of the "theory of mind" test they use: http://kgajos.eecs.harvard.edu/mite/
- Kozlowski, S. J., & Ilgen, D. (2006). Enhancing the Effectiveness of Work Groups and Teams. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 7(3), 77-124. doi:10.1111/j.1529-1006.2006.00030.x
- Mannix, E., & Neale, M. A. (2005). What Differences Make a Difference? The Promise and Reality of Diverse Teams in Organizations. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 6(2), 31-55. doi:10.1111/j.1529-1006.2005.00022.x
- Kantor, J. (September 7, 2013). Harvard Business School Case Study, New York Times.
- Pentland, A. (2012) The New Science of Building Great Teams. Harvard Business Review.
Work Motivation, Emotions and Attitudes
- Oettingen, G. (2014). Rethinking Positive Thinking. Link to WOOP app.
- Weir, J. (December 2013). More than job satisfaction. American Psychological Association Monitor.
- Hsu, T. (November 10, 2012). Managers spend almost a day on slacker workers. Los Angeles Times.
- Dominus, S. (March 27, 2013). Is giving the secret to getting ahead? New York Times.
- Kantor, J. (February 21, 2013). A Titan's how to on breaking the glass ceiling. New York Times.
- Schwartz, T. & Porathm,m C. (May 30, 2015). Why you hate work. New York Times.
- Olster, S. (1/11/2015). Is happiness just a lie we tell employees? Fortune.
- Sawaoka, T. (2014). How your boss's ethics can hurt your career. Character & Context Blog.
- Tyler, T.R. (2012). Justice and Effective Cooperation. Social Justice Research, 25, 355-375.
- Buntin, J. (July 10, 2013). What does it take to stop Crips and Bloods from Killing Each other? New York Times.
- Bowles, N. (September 15, 2013). Women in Tech Largely Unfazed by Men's behavior. San Francisco Chronicle.
- Greenberg, J. (2004). Managing Workplace Stress by Promoting Procedural Fairness. Organizational Dynamics, 33, 352-365.
Careers, Training and Professional Development
- Norotney, A. (2011). Psychology job forecast: partly sunny. American Psychological Association Monitor.
- Ely, R.J., Slate, P. & Amernen, C. (2014). Rethink what you "know" about high achieving women. Harvard Business Review.
- Goel, V. (1/13/2014). Matchmaker, Matchmaker, find me a job. New York Times.
here to access O*net - the occupational titles database.
- Goldfrab, R. W. (November 12, 2012). How to bridge hiring gap. New York Times.
- Knidekel, M. (March 16, 2013). Different strategies for being mentored. San Francisco Chronicle.
- Salas, E., Tannenbaum, S. I., Kraiger, K., & Smith-Jentsch, K. A. (2012). The science of training and development in organizations: What matters in practice. Psychological Science In The Public Interest, 13(2), 74-101. doi:10.1177/1529100612436661
- Lam, B. (June 12, 2015). The danger of picking a major based on where the jobs are. The Atlantic.
- Selingo, J.J. (1/30/2015). Finding a career track in linked in profiles. New York Times.
- Grant, A. (12/19/2015). The one question thatyou should ask about every new job. New York Times.
Leadership, Power and Politics
Individual (and Group) Decision-Making
Communication, Conflict and Negotiation
Stress, Stress Management and Health
Organization Culture, Diversity
- McGregor, L. & Doshi, N. (November 25, 2015). How company culture shapes employee motivation. Harvard Business Reivew.
- Grant, A. (2013). Givers take all: The hidden dimension of corporate culture. McKinsey Quarterly.
- Stewart, J.B. (March 15,2103). Looking for a lesson in Google's Perks. New York Times.
- Hill, L. (January 13, 2013). Job applicants need to find cultural fit. San Francisco Chronicle.
- The journal article cited by Hill: Rivera, L. A. (2012). Hiring as Cultural Matching: The Case of Elite Professional Service Firms. American Sociological Review, 77(6), 999-1022. doi:10.1177/0003122412463213
- The official site for the 2002 BBC replication of the Zimbardo (1973) prison study.
- Palmer, B. (August 5, 2013). What happens in racial sensitivity training? How counselors will try to talk the racism out of Riley Cooper. Slate.com
- Clancy, H. (March 20, 2015). What can big data reveal about corporate culture? Get ready for People Analytics. Fortune.
Heather Smith, Ph.D.