WeGo Sonoma: Real-time Ridesharing Comes to SSU
WeGo Sonoma, a real-time rideshare pilot program, is rolling out at Sonoma State University as well as across Sonoma County. Using web and mobile technology, WeGo Sonoma will provide students, faculty and staff a convenient and affordable way to share rides through a social network that connects riders and drivers in real-time and in advance.
The pilot aims to:
• Increase the number of shared commute trips to SSU while reducing the parking load;
• Reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and
• Build a critical mass of users to continue ridesharing once local outreach wraps up in late 2013.
The Santa Rosa-based non-profit Climate Protection Campaign is implementing the pilot in partnership with the Sonoma County Transportation Authority and their software provider, Avego.
How it works
A mobile phone is required to use the software. SSU community members with smartphones can use the app either as riders or drivers. Those with basic mobile phones can use the software only as riders. The software tracks shared trips and electronically transfers a micropayment from rider to driver to offset the cost of driving.
To facilitate rideshare community-building, it also features a user rating system. Additionally, SSU community members who participate in WeGo Sonoma are eligible for the WeGo MORE rewards and referral programs, with opportunities to earn great rewards for sharing rides. For further details, visit http://wegorideshare.com/sonoma/community/.
The smartphone app is free to download. All new users receive $20 in credit to try the system as riders. Riders are charged $1 for the first mile of the shared trip then 20 cents per mile for the next 15 miles. Thereafter, the cost drops to 15 cents per mile. These micropayments from the rider to driver are transferred electronically. The driver also has the option of providing the rider a free ride in the app.
To participate, interested students, faculty, and staff members must complete the online registration at WeGoSonoma.com/SSU. Once completed, an email will guide registrants through a few simple steps. Connecting with WeGo Sonoma at SSU
• Official WeGo SSU website and sign-up page: wegosonoma.com/ssu
• WeGo Sonoma on Facebook: www.facebook.com/WeGoSonoma
• WeGo Sonoma blog: wegosonoma.tumblr.com
• SSU Staff contact for WeGo: Missy Brunetta, email@example.com
• WeGo Sonoma Team email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
• WeGo Sonoma Team phone contact: Brant Arthur, 707-525-1665 ext. 116
• SSU Transportation page feat. WeGo Rideshare: www.sonoma.edu/ps/transportation/rideshare.html
• Avego (rideshare software provider) technical support: email@example.com
• Media Contact: Brant Arthur, firstname.lastname@example.org