President's Budget Advisory Committee
Minutes, October 18,1991
- Benson distributed the agenda and introduced new members of the Committee including Larry Furukawa-Schlereth, the new Vice President for Administration and Finance.
- The meeting began with a report distributed by Nunez indicating the campus's current financial condition for the 1991-92 budget year. Benson was confident that the $270,000 estimated deficit shown on the report could be mitigated by:
It was also suggested that the admission management for non-resident students should be analyzed as to its effect on the campus's future admission plan.
- deferring the remaining payment for the "Golden Handshake" annuity costs to next fiscal year, and
- the possibility of obtaining some relief on the employees' health benefits premium which the Chancellor's Office is currently working on.
- Discussion on SSU's share of the $335,454 from the CSU's $15 million retirement reduction relief followed. After Farish's articulation of Instruction's plans and bail-out needs, the Committee recommended, and Benson approved, the use of this money towards Spring faculty hires including a $63,000 augmentation to the Library budget.
- Benson read the latest report on the State's first quarter revenues which shows a deficit of $350 million. It is estimated that by the end of the fiscal year, this shortfall will reach $1.5 billion, of which, $1.2 billion will be covered by the State's Reserve Account.
- The CSU's budget development process was lead by Benson. It was recognized that the old tradition of funding campuses based on the Orange Book Formula has eroded in recent years resulting in a demand to look for a different funding methodology. Consequently, an ad-hoc committee, chaired by Benson, is looking at ways and means to simplify the CSU budget process with an eye towards the aggregate approach in funding methodology.
- Continuation of SSU's budget process for 1992-93 will be discussed at the next meeting on
November 1, at 1:00 p.m. in the Sue Jameson Room.
In addition, the following agenda items are included:
- Status Report: Ramifications On Services Provided by Plant Operations As A Result of Budget Reductions: Schlereth
- Report on Utilities/Sewage Expenditures: Schlereth
- Chargecard Services: Nunez
PBAC minutes 1991-1992