Mission of the Sonoma State University Center for Community Engagement
The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) advances community based programs on the Sonoma State University campus.
The CCE supports faculty in developing community based teaching that integrates academic theory with community service and scholarship that is inclusive of community partners and students to address local problems. By incorporating these projects into the curriculum, we teach students to be active citizens and that the theories taught in the classroom do apply to real world issues.
Central to the mission of CCE are several goals:
- To integrate service-learning and community based research into the curriculum
- To support and promote SSU-community collaborative research including community-based participatory research, action research, and research for the common good
- To support and promote faculty community service and advocacy for community interests
- To support and promote high quality, reciprocal community university partnerships that are firmly rooted in the curriculum
- To assist community partners with connecting with opportunities to collaborate with and accessing the resources of the University
- To foster the development of a civic perspective in education