COMS students are required to obtain an internship as a way to gain more experience in a professional setting within the media industry. Students are responsible for securing their own position, filling out and submitting the required forms in order to be enrolled in COMS 499. As a graduation requirement, students must fulfill at least 4 units for COMS 499 which is equivalent to 180 hours at your internship.
As a department, we hope our students find meaningful positions that encourage an application of what is learned in class. We hope these positions also give students an opportunity to pursue personal interests. We encourage students to start researching early, apply to multiple positions, and to talk to other students about their experiences.
- Internships MUST be media related.
- Download and fill out all internship forms for summer. Click the "forms" link on the left hand side of this page.
- Students can sign up for 1-4 units at a time. 1 unit = 45 hours, 2 units = 90, 3 units = 135, and 4 unit = 180 hours.
- Once you have filled out all forms including the internship agreement form with signatures from you and your internship supervisor, drop the completed forms off at Dr. Burch's offce. Students do NOT have to come during her office hours nor see her unless they would like to. As long as the internship is clearly media related students should drop the forms at her mailbox (NH 323). She will review and sign them, then leave them for pick up outside her office door. (NH 328)
- Once Dr. Burch signs your internship agreement form, you can take it to Extended Education to register for the class in STEVENSON 1012.
- Students will receive the course syllabus once they have registered and the term begins May 26th. Please let Dr. Burch know if you did not receive your syllabus at the beginning of the summer term
WELCOME BACK COMS MAJORS!
There is not a class meeting to go along with the internship class. All fall and spring internships will be handled by the Arts and Humanities Internship coordinator, Ianthe Brautigan Swensen firstname.lastname@example.org. Ianthe’s office is located in Carson Hall 62.
The form you need to register for your internship is the Internship Agreement form which can be found here at the left hand side of this page or here.
Once you have met with Ianthe, you will take your internship agreement form to Marco Calavita to get his signature.
Ianthe's office hours are:
Thursday's 9:00-11:00 & 3:30-4:00 and by appointment.
And if you have any questions about any of this please don’t hesitate to talk to me or to Brooke in the COMS office…
Professor and Chair, COMS
COMS 499 is for Students to take during their Senior year in the COMS program. Freshmen through Juniors should not enroll in COMS 499 unless it is during summer or intersession through Extended Education. Internships must be media related.
You will need 4 units of internship credit to graduate with a COMS degree. Students can sign up for 1-4 units at a time. 1 unit = 45 hours, 2 units = 90, 3 units = 135, and 4 unit = 180 hours.
You can't register for the COMS 499 internship online. You must fill out the papwerwork (all forms can be found on the left hand side of this page) and turn them into the internship advisor with appropriate signatures. You will be added to the class manually.
Our students are generally looking for internships at the beginning of each semester. A great time to send internship announcements is in late July/early August, late December/Early January, and around graduation time in May. This is when students should be planning for and registering for classes.
Students are required to have 4 units of internship credit to graduate as a COMS major. Students can sign up for 1-4 units at a time. 1 unit = 45 hours, 2 units = 90, 3 units = 135, and 4 unit = 180 hours.
Send your job announcements to our office by email and we will forward them to our students and post a print copy in our department. They will be sent out when you send them to us. You are welcome to resend announcements at different times during the semester. Send all announcements to email@example.com