Early Childhood Education Online Certificate Program
About the Program
Chiara Bacigalupa, Ph.D.
Early Childhood Studies
Senior Programs Coordinator, School of Extended and International Education
The fully-online Early Childhood Studies certificate is offered in partnership between the School of Education, Department of Early Childhood Studies, and the School of Extended and International Education. Designed for working professionals, the ECE Certificate is a one-year online program created to provide essential professional development for
- Early childhood education providers
- Early childhood education program directors
- Transitional kindergarten teachers
- Early elementary teachers
Please note: This ECE Certificate does not meet the requirements for an Early Childhood Special Education Authorization, so it does not qualify certificate holders to teach in special education classrooms.
The ECE Certificate Program
- qualifies students for the California Child Development Permit
- meets the new ECE requirements for transitional kindergarten teachers, including the California Transitional Kindergarten Stipend Program
Job-related skills are woven throughout the curriculum. The exposure to advanced theory, along with the research you will conduct in this program, will improve your ability to:
- design hands-on, integrated, project-based curriculum
- support dual language learners
- authentically document and assess children’s learning
- engage and support families
- advance your own development as an Early Childhood Education professional
Online Program Format
- Cohort model: 22 students create a learning community focused on ECE
- Four online graduate-level classes (see curriculum page) totaling 12 academic units
- Fieldwork undertaken in your own classroom or workplace
- One-year completion time
- Under certain conditions, nine units may be transferred into the Early Childhood Education Studies Master's program at Sonoma State University.
Coursework will commence in late May; the first week of the program will be devoted to an online orientation to the program learning platform, resources, and expectations.
NOTE: You must have regular access to the internet and email to complete this fully online certificate program. Consult Sonoma State University’s Learning Management System FAQ #13 for further information about technology requirements.