EXCEL for Youth Home
Interactive classes in science, technology and the arts on the campus of Sonoma State University will be held in the summer of 2015:
- Session 1: June 15-19
- Session 2: June 22-26
- Session 3: July 6-10
- Session 3-4: July 6-17
- Session 4: July 13-17
- Session 5: July 20-24
EXCEL for Youth is a unique academic enrichment program that offers students entering 4-9 grades accelerated classes in science, math, technology, visual art, drama, and writing. It is celebrating its 33rd year and has served over 21,000 students since 1982.
One and two week classes take place on the campus of Sonoma State University and use the school's specialized arts, science, and technology labs, as well as providing guest speakers and field trips. Exceptional mentor teachers include university faculty, professionals from specialized fields, and teachers from area districts who design classes to capitalize on each student's interest, creativity, and curiosity. For students staying all day, there is a supervised one hour "lunch bunch" at no additional charge; students are supervised at all times.
NEW IN 2015
- Tent Location Change (checking in and out) - please note, due to construction and room upgrades, the EXCEL tent will be located between Salazar Hall/Technology High School and the Field House (please see map)
- Four one-week sessions with a limited number of two-week classes overlapping the regular weeks of programming.
- We are pleased and excited to be able to offer a new thematic week for students entering grades 4-8. This pilot program of EXCEL offers the same quality instruction, but with a new twist. The ALL day program starts at 9:00am with a welcome and team building exercises. The students are then assigned to a group depending on their grade level and theme chosen (Water Wonders or Inventor's Workshop). Students rotate approximately every two hours between three different classes. Parent pick up is at 4:00pm.
- FEES - classes are either $180 or $195 for a 1-week class, and either $360 or $380 for a 2-week class. The $195 and $380 courses include additional materials/supplies. New students receive a 10% discount. Also, students who take at least two regular session classes are eligible for a 10% discount on the theme week (July 20-24).
- PARKING - Each student confirmation packet will include a general lot parking pass for drop off and pick up, as well as for Open Houses. General parking permits are valid in lots E, F, J, G, H, L, M, N, and O lots only. General permits are also valid in the Housing lots between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Faculty and Staff
EXCEL teachers include university faculty, professionals from specialized fields, and teachers from area districts. All are experienced with children. If you'd like to know more about a particular teacher, instructor biographies are listed below each class description.
Awards and Recognition
EXCEL has been honored by the State of California with an Assembly Resolution presented by Assemblyman Jared Huffman for our years of outstanding contributions to education, and is listed by Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth programs for gifted students.
EXCEL is celebrating its 33rd anniversary in the summer of 2015.
We would like to acknowledge the Sonoma State Alumni Association for their generous support. Current members of the SSU Alumi Association can request a 10% discount on EXCEL classes.