Spam, "Phishing," and your SSU Email Account
Have you ever received an email from a bank – that wasn't your bank, asking you to log in? Or maybe it was your bank but they were threatening to close your account if you do not log in with the included link? That is a tactic called "Phishing" – a scam involving the use of fraudulent e-mail to lure others into providing confidential information.
Here is some advice to keep your personal information safe:
- NEVER respond to a spam or phishing email. Responding just confirms that your email address is valid and you will find yourself getting more spam than ever.
- NEVER click on any links in emails that look suspicious. The safest way to access your bank's web site is to open a new web browser and type in the URL yourself (ie www.wamu.com or www.exchangebank.com).
- Optional: If you would like to report an email scam, forward the email to the Federal Trade Commission at email@example.com
What Can I Do About Spam?
The very best thing to do is ignore it. And the very best way to ignore it is to have Spam filtered out of your inbox. Spam is automatically filtered out of your Inbox into your Personal Dashboard account by Red Condor. This is set up for all staff and faculty on campus. You will receive a Spam Digest daily and it contains a link within it which will take you to your Personal Dashboard in which you can move things out of Spam, add addresses to you Friends.
How do I view my Daily Digest if I use Webmail?
If you use webmail then you will have to adjust a setting in order to view the Daily Digest.
- Log in to webmail.
- Click on the Options menu at the top of the page.
- Click on the Display Preferences option on the top right.
- Under the "Message Display and Composition" section check the Yes box next to "Show HTML Version by Default".
Helpful Links about Red Condor:
- For an introduction you can watch this video about the Personal Dashboard: http://redcondor.com/dox/sims/personal-dashboard
- Detailed FAQ with search: http://redcondor.com/dox/dashboard-help/faq/index.htm
- Report spam directly from Microsoft Outlook with this Toolbar Plugin. You can contact the Help Desk if you need help installing this.
- How to add someone to your friends list (whitelist) or put someone on your Enemies list (blacklist): http://redcondor.com/dox/dashboard-help/faq/532.htm