Music majors may be awarded a variety of scholarships.
The Music Department offers scholarships to Music majors who show exceptional talent. The Scholarship is entirely separate from the University Scholarship program. University awards are open only to students with GPAs of 3.5 or higher. Music Scholarships are given for demonstrated ability by audition. They range in size from $500 to Full Tuition. All students will be considered for a music scholarship during the November, January and March audition dates based on the level of performance exhibited during the audition. To be fully considered for a music scholarship, please bring with you on the audition day, two letters of recommendation and unofficial transcripts from the last two years of school. Music Scholarship decisions will be made approximately two weeks after the March auditions.
Prospective Music Majors
Complete the SSU Music Major Audition Request Form located here.
The Evert B. Person Endowment Fund
Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Evert B. Person, the Performing Arts Departments at Sonoma State are able to offer generous scholarship assistance to many of our students. The Person Scholarships are awarded on the basis of talent and potential to students who audition successfully and who are majoring in either Theatre Arts or Music. In addition to scholarships, the Person Fund allows us to support our students by bringing to SSU a variety of guest artists: master teachers, individual performers and performing groups, professional designers for productions. We also use funds from the Person Endowment to augment regular faculty with resident guest artists who work with students for a semester or more.
Music Scholarships Available
- James Abriel Memorial Scholarship Endowment
- Dr. Carol Channing & Harry Kullijian Scholarship
- John and Peggy Donovan-Jeffry Scholarship
- Mel Graves Scholarship Fund
- Demetrio and Theresa Jeffry Scholarship
- Vesta Jelte Scholarship
- Jeff Langley Honorary Scholarship Endowment Fund
- Bettina Vegara Lieber and Dr. Paul Lieber Violin Scholarship Endowment
- Tamara Loring Scholarship
- Arthur Carl Mammen Memorial Scholarship
- Lalmani Misra Memorial Scholarship
- Marvin Olson Memorial Endowment
- Evert B. Person Endowment Fund
- P. Kathleen Roth Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Roxy Roth Scholarship Fund
- Ezra G. Rust Scholarship for Musical Talent
- Larry A. and Zilpha K. Snyder Memorial Scholarship
- Stephen Sorenson Memorial Scholarship
- Pierce and Marie Thompson Memorial Piano Scholarship
- Vadasz Family Foundation Endowed Scholarship Fund
- World of Carpets Scholarship
Music Scholarships are awarded on a yearly basis. Some students are awarded more than one kind of scholarship-for example, a Person Scholarship and a Vadasz Family Foundation scholarship.
Music Scholarships are reserved exclusively for declared Music majors, with winners selected by yearly audition.
Conditions of scholarship acceptance and continuance are:
- Residency requirement (enrolled on campus)
- Minimum music course load (6 units/semester)
- Active participation in required ensembles
- Minimum 2.5 GPA with no grade lower than a C in any music course
- Attendance at Scholarship Award Ceremony
- Four-year maximum of support for freshmen; three for transfer students; five for full-time music education credential students.
Contact the Music Department Office at 707-664-2324.