Health Information Weblinks
DISCLAIMER: Information alone cannot substitute for professional medical care. Contact a healthcare provider if you are ill, injured or have symptoms that concern you. Although the sites listed below are reputable evidence-based sites, the Student Health Center does not control the content of or guarantee the information contained in these or other links.
General Medical and Health Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) an excellent evidence-based public health site providing extensive health information by topic and for specific populations. Has information directed at professional health care providers as well as members of the public.
- Medline plus health topics A-Z- an extensive A-Z listing of topics from the National Institutes of Health about symptoms, diseases, treatments, and other healthcare issues.
- Medline plus health information tools- an enticing array of health videos, self-assessments, quizzes, tutorials and other interactive tools developed by the National Library of Medicine.
- National Library of Medicine - a gateway site leading to biomedical literature, digitized exhibits, drug information, etc.
- National Institutes of Health - a reliable site for Health Topics AZ, Health Information hotlines, links, & publications as well as information about men's women's and minority health.
- Up To Date for patients: - a free lay person based version of the on-line diagnosis and treatment reference
Especially for College Students
- Go Ask Alice - Columbia University Healthlink A well-known interactive question & answer service from the Columbia University Health Service. You can read answers to questions that others have asked, or ask your own questions.
- College health & safety topics and links from the CDC
- College Drinking - research-based information from the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism (NIAA).
- UlifeLine- a mental health resource of the Jed Foundation oriented towards college students
Gay Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Health
- CDC LGBT health pages
- Center of excellence for transgender health - UCSF
- National Institutes of Health GLBT research-based health information & articles plus numerous links to other organizations and information sources
- Local medical services; Southwest Community Health Center
- Centers for Disease Control Travel Health Information
- International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers - Information on getting ready for travel and how to find healthcare around the world
- World Health Organization International Travel & Health Page
- Food and Drug Administration information on medications, medical devices, and safety
- National Institutes of Health Drugs & Supplements Information from A-Z
- National Library of Medicine Drug Portal
- US Department of Health & Human Services information about antibiotics and other medications A-Z
- Prescription Drug Abuse Information from the National Institutes of Health
- American Psychiatric Association
- Centers for Disease Control Suicide Prevention Resources:
- National Institutes of Mental Health - the nation's premier entity focused on mental health information, research, and prevention.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) - a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration suicide prevention resources and links
Nutrition and Fitness
Evidence based general information:
- Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics comprehensive nutrition information from the professional organization of nation's registered dieticians
- Food and Nutrition Information Center of the USDA
- My Plate.gov: Healthy eating & and fitness guidelines for the public and health professionals
- Nutrition topics & links from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)