The major has been designed to allow each student, in consultation with an advisor, to develop an individualized program of study.
The required courses ensure a solid grounding in sociological concepts, theories, and research methods.
By the time students graduate, they will:
- Create clear, succinct analysis in writing and speaking;
- Understand the structure and logic of the full range of the discipline;
- Formulate critical and analytic questions about society and be able to investigate them through original research;
- Demonstrate competence in handling databases and in using appropriate technical tools;
- Apply theory and methods in sustained independent inquiry.