Sociology Major & Minor Advising FAQs

stevenson, spring 2012I am a Sociology Major. Who is my academic major advisor?

The Sociology Department does not assign major advisors. Students can see any advisor in the Sociology Department during their office hours.

How do I make an appointment with an academic advisor in Sociology?

You do not need to make an appointment. The advisor’s office hours are drop in.  If you cannot come in during an advisor's posted office hours, call or email the advisor about scheduling an appointment. Office staff do not make appointments for faculty. Faculty office hours start on the first day of class and end on the last day of class each semester. Faculty are not on campus on a regular basis during the summer or intersession.

Where do I go to meet with an academic advisor in Sociology?

All of the Sociology advisor’s offices are located on the Second floor of Stevenson Hall in the Sociology Department Office, 2084.

I have questions about General Education, my academic advising report, my transfer credit report, or how to contact a department. Are there any advisors other than my Sociology major advisor who can help me out?

The School of Social Sciences has a peer advisor who is available to help out students. The Academic Peer Advisor for the School of Social Sciences is a useful resource for: GE Courses, Social Sciences courses in the GE pattern, registration help, how to search for classes effectively, and understanding the Academic Requirement Report (ARR) and Transfer Credit Report. If you are confused at all about any of these things please come see the Academic Peer Advisor.

How do I declare Sociology as my major?

The “Change of Major” form is available in hardcopy only and can be found in either the Admissions and Records office or the Department office, Stevenson 2084.

I want to see an advisor to plan out my schedule, what should I bring?

It is recommended that students bring a printout of the Academic Requirements Report (ARR), the Transfer Credit Report (if any) as well as any other documents that may be useful.

I need to apply to graduate with a BA or a Minor in Sociology, what do I do?

The instructions and deadlines to apply to graduate are on the Registration website Students need to fill out both a “Graduation Application” and a “Major/Minor Requirements Contact”. The graduation paperwork is available in hardcopy only and can be found at the department office (Stevenson Hall 2084) and/or Admissions and Records. Students must have a Sociology Major advisor sign the Major/Minor Contract.

There are no advisors are available, but my instructor is in their office, can they advise me about the major or sign my paperwork?

Not every instructor can sign paperwork, the major advisors for Sociology are tenure and tenure track faculty in the department.

No advisors are available and I need to turn in my paperwork today, can the department staff sign my form?

No, staff cannot sign in place of an academic advisor.