CCJS Advisement

One of our goals is to provide useful and timely advising.

Last Modified: 2013-08-23

Getting Advised in CCJS
Department Requirements
SSU Advising Resources
Spring 2013 Notes for Majors and Minors

Getting Advised in Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies

If you need GE advising (not CCJS major advising) e-mail Jacki, the School of Social Science's new GE advisor--or take a link to this flyer on GE advising in Social Sciences.

All Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies major and minor students have an assigned advisor. You should see your advisor at least once a semester. Bring a copy of your transcript and degree progress report with you when you meet with your assigned faculty advisor. If you are a transfer student, bring in addition your "External Course" report from PeopleSoft.

Assigned Advisor
click column headers to sort
If your last name begins with...

Your assigned advisor is...
A-B & U-Z
Professor Eric Williams
Professor Diana Grant
C-E & K-O
Professor Patrick Jackson
Professor Napoleon Reyes

Exceptions: Students who already have a regular advisor can continue to be so advised, but most students are encouraged to see their assigned advisor when they need advisement.
Here are Faculty office hours and contact information.
Here is contact information for our helpful office staff:

Lisa Kelley (e-mail: & phone is 664.2293) and
Katie Musick (e-mail: & phone 664.2934).

Department Requirements

Any eligible student--new or transfer--with a "C" or higher grade point average can major in CCJS--until Fall of 2013.

Follow this link to core requirements for the CCJS major. Under the old rules (prior to entrance into the major of Fall 2011) these include:

  • 36 units of core requirements
  • 24 units of electives in support of the major.

    These rules have changed considerably for student who entered Fall 2011 or afterwards. See the above link.

Registration Help Line: 664-2000.

Students who have holds: provides a list of all holds and who can lift them. The website also provides lots of assistance in registration basics/information.

· ALL students can sign up for 16 units; waitlist for 12.
· Registration will remain OPEN until January 6. It will close for financial aid processing and then REOPEN January 9 without appointments.
· Freshman Year Experience Courses (e.g., FLCs, FYE, etc.): If students are having difficulty figuring out which freshman year experience course they should be signing up for in the Spring or how to go about signing up, the Peer Advisors in the Advising Center in Salazar can assist.
· Some classes, particularly lower division GE courses, are being restricted to lower division students ONLY during this first week in order to accommodate freshmen/sophomores with late registration appointments. Available seats in these classes will be opened to all students later in the registration cycle. Upper division students who need these classes should keep checking. If the classes fill, students should be advised to waitlist.
· Students having difficulty finding classes should:
o Get their names on waitlists.
o Check back in to the registration system OFTEN; class availability and wait lists are being monitored.
o Contact their academic advisor, school advisor or peer advisors for help and support.
o Have multiple back-up courses and plans.

·Students who have 16 units can still take the internship (CCJS 499) without a petition.

SSU Advising Resources

SSU provides advising resources online for you to utilize.

As for general advising information, first there is the Academic Advising web page, which has the latest information and updates. You may also want to see the "Important Policies and Procedures for Students" page. It is helpful to know the whereabouts of the Grade Appeal Policy, the Student Grievance Policy and the Cheating and Plagiarism Policy in relation to the Fairness Board. There is also the web page that tells you who has priority registration and why. Moreover, the Advising Center has links to the following:

Moreover, Admissions and Records contains a wealth of information of direct relevance to you as you move toward registering, declaring a minor or double major, petitioning things, applying for graduation, and the like. For example, here are links to:

Notes on Fall 2012-Spring 2013

CCJS. When registering for classes for Spring 2013, the Department's name is CCJS: Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies.

Graduating Senior: If you are a graduating senior at the end of Spring 2013 you can request to be enrolled in senior seminar but first you must apply to graduate.  Additional information about applying for graduation can be found at

-Students wishing to enroll in CCJS 490 (Senior Seminar) in Spring 2013, must fill out their graduation application and give it to their advisor.

-The graduation application paperwork is available at Admissions and Records and in the CCJS Department office, Stevenson Hall 2084.

-Although advising is not required for submitting your graduation application, if you need advising, please bring an updated and printed PeopleSoft "Academics Requirements Report (ARR)" with you. If you are a transfer student and need advising, please bring--in addition--a printed copy of your "External Credit" listed on PeopleSoft.

Freshman and Sophomore students: you should be focusing on completing GE requirements. Print the GE form applicable to you (either 48, 50 or 51 unit GE pattern--see above link) and check off GE courses as you take them. Try not to duplicate GE requirements or you may be at SSU longer than you want. Be sure to wait to complete your 9 units of upper division (300-400) GE units until the semester you become a junior (i.e., attain 60 units) or later; the course must be GE and numbered 300 or 400. Try to make one of your GE classes satisfy the Ethnic Studies requirement (identified with an * on the form), and make one of your science classes satisfy your lab requirement (identified with a # on the form). Note: if you came to SSU with an AP class that satisfies the POLS 200 requirement, you have NOT yet met the California State and Local Government requirement. Bring your GE checkoff list to any advising appointment, along with a current copy of your transcript. If you need GE advising (not CCJS major advising) e-mail Jacki, our new GE advisor or take a link to this flyer on GE advising in Social Sciences.

Filled classes: As CCJS classes inevitably fill up and you are a junior (or about to be) through a first semester senior, there are other alternatives for filling in your courseload. For example, many students can take CCJS electives and upper or lower division GE requirements that are required for graduation. The CCJS Internship is also available (see "Electives chosen under advisement" include graded courses in CCJS or in the School of Social Sciences (i.e., Anthropology, Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies, Environmental Studies & Planning, Geography & Global Studies, History, Human Development, Liberal Studies (Ukiah), Psychology, Sociology and Women's & Gender Studies). Don't forget to do that WEPT exam by the end of your junior year. (See the WEPT Schedule here.) If you don't pass it you'll then have time to get help.

Transfer student suggestions: in general (unless you've already satisfied all your major elective requirements) take ALL your upper division GE courses in the School of Social Sciences. Take WGS 375 to satisfy the upper divison GE AND Ethnic Studies requirements!!

During some semesters there is a listing of general education and other classes still open. See Admissions and Records.

Retaking a class. If you are retaking a class be sure to fill out the Repeat of Course Form at in advance of taking the course. Give the form to your advisor or put it in the mailbox of the CCJS Chair for signature. Note: you must take CCJS 201 at SSU.

Graduation Addendum. If you are taking a different course than you thought you would be to graduate, it is time to fill out the Major-Minor Contract and Graduation Addendum form. Use the Graduation Application form if you are applying to graduate for the first time or changing the date that you want to graduate.

Scholarship applications: Now is the time to plan to apply for scholarships at SSU. They are due in mid-January but don't wait until then. These are merit based scholarships.
If you have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher take this link now or go over to the Scholarship Office in Salazar.

Reminder: Pay close attention to fees and holds. If you fail to pay fees, fines or deal with holds you might be disenrolled from classes during registration. That can cause big problems.

Filing and Graduation Dates (take this link)

Jobs/Internships Take these links to job listings and internships in CCJS. If you want to do an internship you may take up to 20 units without a petition.

Graduate School: Some students are considering whether to apply for graduate school and, if so, which ones. Get the GPA as high as you can. There are many good choices so keep your options open. Apply to a minimum of three. Your department faculty are a good resource for this purpose and you should seek them out. It is important to consider your career goals and desired living locations, the subject areas that schools offer, their number of faculty, potential mentoring opportunities, if appropriate, whether or not you may want to go beyond a Master's degree, financial support available, and other factors.

There are a couple of lists of potential graduate schools around the country or in California in particular. Here are two lists that distinguish between M.A. and Ph.D. programs: list one and list two. Moreover, the Schultz Information Center has good listing of graduate catalogs.

Graduating Seniors: If you believe that you are a graduating senior, don't wait: apply for graduation and send an email addressed to Provide your name, student number/ID and whether or not you have applied for graduation.

Admissions and Records writes (on this page): "The Graduation Application and approved Major/Minor Requirements form(s) must be stapled together and turned the same time [emphasis in original]. Changes to graduation date must be made via a Graduation Changes form."

Commencement: Information regarding the next commencement will be available at

Important Spring 2013 Dates: