TO: Campus Community
FR: Christopher Dinno, Chief Planning Officer
I am writing to share that while the Stevenson Hall Renovation project is underway and good progress has been made on the demolition, the construction schedule is delayed and will impact the renovation’s completion date, move-in, and opening for the fall semester 2022.
The delay in the construction schedule is due to longer unanticipated project review and approval timelines at the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) and the Office of Fire Safety within the Chancellor’s Office. This is not unique to the Stevenson Hall Renovation; other CSU campus construction projects are similarly delayed.
The Stevenson Hall Renovation Project plans have been submitted to the OSFM and are in process and pending review.
The campus has received the OSFM permit for the Stevenson Hall abatement and demolition work, which is currently underway. Additionally, the campus has received approvals from all the other required agencies and third-party reviewers for the project, with only the OSFM permit still outstanding.
It is our understanding that this delay is due to the following factors per the OSFM:
- the complexity of the project plans requires a longer review time
- the pandemic created a project backlog and delays at the OSFM
- the 2020 wildfires also created delays at the OSFM project review time and limited availability of Deputy State Fire Marshals to review project plans
- other state projects (Judicial Projects) are taking priority at the OSFM
The revised projected completion estimated dates for the Stevenson Hall Renovation Project are:
- Construction is now slated to be completed by Spring 2023
- Furniture delivery and installation are projected for late Spring 2023
- Faculty and staff move-in projected for late Spring / early summer 2023
- Stevenson Hall dedication and reopening is slated for Fall 2023
While we are disappointed about this delay, we are appreciative of the many years of collaborative partnership we’ve shared with the OSFM. We are also grateful for the support we have received from the Chancellor’s Capital Planning Design and Construction Office staff in working through the delays and advocating for our campus project. We will continue to work closely with all the associated agencies to move the project forward as quickly as possible.
We will work closely with the provost, the deans, the schools, and our Stevenson Hall planning committee regarding this new schedule. Please visit the Stevenson Hall Project website frequently for updates on our progress. Thank you.