General Education (GE): Committees, Policies, Patterns
Mission, Goals and Objectives of GE at Sonoma State University.
General Education at SSU investigates the complexity of human experience in a diverse natural and social world, and promotes informed and ethical participation as citizens of the world. To achieve our mission, in concert with the specific needs of various GE Areas of Study, the GE program asserts specific fundamental goals for all GE approved classes.
For complete information regarding GE at SSU, go to Missions, Goals and Objectives of General Education at SSU (Word Format)
The General Education Committee is a standing subcommittee of the Educational Policies Committee and the Academic Senate. Its charge is to:
- Develop and modify the General Education Curriculum of the University in accordance with Title V of the Education Code and applicable Executive Orders from the CSU Chancellor's Office.
- Coordinate general education coursework through consultation with the school curriculum committees and the faculty engaged in teaching GE courses.
- Design policies in consultation with the Admissions and Records staff concerning the evaluation of general education equivalencies and substitutions for both native and transfer students
- Develop and analyze procedures for evaluation of the general education program in consultation with the school curriculum committees
- Update and review GE catalog copy and publications that pertain to general education requirements
- Report in writing all decisions pertaining to the GE program to the Educational Policies Committee. The Chair of the GE Committee shall make periodic oral reports and provide minutes of the subcommittee to the Chair of EPC.
- Submit recommendations for proposals for significant changes in the GE curriculum to EPC for consideration and action.
The Review Process:
Prior to submission of your proposal to the GE SubCommittee, the appropriate school-level curriculum committee and dean must review all new course proposals, and their recommendations should be included in the proposal package. The GE SubCommittee will then review such proposals and its recommendations will be forwarded to EPC. As part of the review process, proposers will be asked to present their proposals to the GE SubCommittee during which time the committee members may ask questions to determine the merit of the proposal. To guarantee a complete review in the semester submitted, complete proposals must be received before the fourth week of each semester.
Note: The GE SubCommittee is currently revising the guidelines and signature forms. The new guidelines will be posted soon. Here is a link to the old GE Course Proposal Guidelines (doc)
Obtaining a baccalaureate degree from Sonoma State University requires the student to complete both a general education program and a major course of study focused on a particular discipline. General Education at SSU investigates the complexity of human experience in a diverse natural and social world, and promotes informed and ethical participation as citizens of the world.
General Education Substitution Form