ATI Priority 2, Group 2 Meeting Notes
February 27, 2007

Present: Paula Hammett, Aidong Hu, Barbara Moore, Lea Schell, Bonnie Sugiyama, Carol Tremmel

Absent: Brent Boyer, Brett Christie, Emiliano Ayala

Agenda

  1. Need to select a subgroup chair.
  2. Someone to take notes (same or different person)
  3. Policies and support to be identified. 
  4. See CSU LMS Strategic Planning website
  5. How routued through EPC, Senate, etc.

Selection of Chair

Tabled until Brett's return.

Someone to Take Notes

Barbara volunteered to take notes this session. Group agreed members would rotate this responsibility each meeting. Note taker should send notes to Brett or Barbara to post online.

Policies and Support

In order to begin thinking about a plan for SSU, the group worked through items 4-7 of the Instructional Materials Self-Study distributed by the systemwide ATI group. Following are some of the issues and ideas that came up.

Learning Management Systems

"4. A strategy to increase faculty use of the campus learning management system (LMS) for delivering technology-enabled courses, and for posting syllabi and instruction materials onlie for tradtional face-toface and hybrid or blended courses."

A. Does the campus train all Faculty on how to post course materials to the LMS?

Training is available, but optional. Only a handful of faculty come to training sessions. Some might be using online resources to train themselves. Others get hands-on support from Web Office.

B. Is a campus LMS site established automatically for each course in order to streamline Faculty use of the site?

Yes, since Spring 2004. WebCT use has increased quite a lot since then.

C. Does the campus specifically encourage Faculty to post their print-based materials in an electronic form as well?

Not formally.

Ideas for increasing Faculty use of LMS:
  • Incorporate LMS use in New Faculty Orientation.
  • Expanding New Faculty Orientation to include a session specific to WebCT - either demo or hands-on.
  • Student-centered or student-driven. Get message out to faculty that students like having central place for all course materials
  • Emphasize how using WebCT can "make it easier" to publish, organize, manage class materials.
  • Increase support for WebCT use by increasing support staff in Web Office
  • Increase support by designating faculty in every department as a peer WebCT specialist. Get WebCT certification training for that person. Need commitment from Deans that peer specialist gets credit for service to university in RTP.
  • Send IT rep to school/department meetings at the beginning of the year to encourage use, answer questions, etc. Specifically to get the word out to Faculty who've been around a while and might not have been exposed to it.
  • Get Deans Council behind it.

Purchasing Digital & Multimedia Materials

5. A process to incorporate accessibility requirements in the purchase of digital or multimedia instructional materials (captions on videos, for example).

A. Has the campus created any advisory material (e.g. accessibility checklists) for Faculty and Staff to use when evaluating multimedia instructional materials?

No.

B. Has the campus widely and proactively disseminated these materials to Faculty and Staff who procure multimedia instructional materials?

No.

C. Has the campus procurement office established business processes to review and to provide guidance to those who procure multimedia instructional materials?

Procurement and Library have established processes for procurement of library collections. Procurement hasn't included accessibility requirements in this process. The SSU ATI Priority 3 group is focusing first on purchases over $25,000. Library is trying to figure out how to implement accessibility requirements when reviewing possible purchases.

Ideas for including accessibility in purchasing processes
  • For materials Faculty purchase, can Library draft a checklist faculty and staff could use when selecting materials?
  • For materials the Library puchases for Faculty, can the Library create a checklist or form that can be used to look for accessibility and document when an apporpriate accessible selection is not available?
  • Can we legally add our own captions to materials we purchase? And make them available for subsequent student use?
  • Some vendors the Library works with are making a committment to accessibility and are reviewing their catalogs to decide which titles might be captioned for future releases. Library may be able to prioritize repurchasing some titles, based on usage.
  • The materials procurement checklist/form could document when something is/isn't accessible, whether or not something else is available, and also prompt faculty to think/document how they are going to make that inaccessible content accessible to students ( like what Emiliano helps faculty with via UDL).

6. A process to incorporate accessibility as a required component in the curriculum review and approval process.

(no questions)

Ideas for incorporating accessiblity requirements in curriculum review

  • This needs to happen in EPC and school/department program review committees.
  • Accessibility training will need to be developed for EPC and school/department committees.
  • Accessibility requirements should be included in the guidelines the EPC gives to school/department committees.
  • How do we get lecturers into the loop?

Creating Accessible Course Content

7. A plan to support faculty in the creation of accessible course content.

A. Does the campus provide training to Faculty in ways to author accessible documents (e.g. syllabi, handouts) in commonly-used formats such as Microsoft Office and PDF?

No. The Web Office and Library offer Dreamweaver training that includes accessibilty requirements. But there is no formal training for MS Word, PowerPoint or PDF creation.

B. Does the campus have the capacity to modify existing multimedia instractional materials to provide for accessibility (e.g. generate transcripts for audio, add captions to video)?

Probably not. This is not part of a service any department on campus currently offeres. DSS sometimes hires an interpreter as accomodation.

Ideas for supporting faculty in creation of accessible course content
  • Need training for faculty and support staff in how to create accessible MS Word, PowerPoint, PDF, etc.
  • Train IT video production staff to add captions to in-house production.
  • Can students do captioning work?
  • Could COMS teach an accessible media course that included internships?
  • Faculty need to include accessibility in planning process for multimedia production. If something is scripted, that script can easily be turned into captions.
  • Retrofitting existing multimedia - we'll need $ to outsource, or $ to do in house.

Further Discussion (keeping items 8-11 in mind)

8. A communication process and training plan to educate student, staff and faculty about the campus Instructional Materials Plan.

9. An evaluation process to measure the effectiveness of the plan.

10. The identification of roles and responsibilities associated with the above processes.

11. Milestones and timelines that conform to the dates listed below (in coded memo AA-2007-04).

Ideas
  • Logo and/or slogan we can use on all our ATI communications, materials, etc. "Coalesce" the various efforts of the 3 priorites into a greater program for greater recognition and awareness. Maybe Brett can come up with something creative/positive?
  • Need to talk with the chair of EPC so they know this is coming up. Might not be time to get this plan approved by EPC before June 15. Could we get a commitment from EPC to include curriculum review guideline changes for ATI in Fall, so we can include that in our plan due in June?
  • Need to identify the wide array of training workshops, venues, resources we already have or need to develop.
  • Can Institutional Research help us measure effectiveness?
  • What exactly do we want/need to measure? What resources or changes do we need to start measuring that? (For example, currently can't track WebCT usage, so we'll need to purchase reporting module.)

Next Meeting

Next meeting Tuesday, March 6, 1-2:30 pm in Stev 2046.