CAMPUS REENGINEERING COMMITTEE

MINUTES October 13, 1995

MEMBERS PRESENT:

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

MSPU the agenda (Harris/Barrier)

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

MSPU the minutes of September 29, 1995 (Harris/Brown)

VICE PRESIDENT'S REPORT

Larry reported on the PBAC meetings held October 4 and 10. On the 4th, the committee spent the majority of the meeting hearing a presentation by Larry and the Financial Services staff about the status of the University Budget At that time, the budget was in balance, but there were no funds available for the many "new" needs identified by the various divisions. On October 10, the "needs" list was revised. Additions included the Employee Assistance Program, a Lecture Series, EHS Audit Compliance, and Pay for Performance staffing. A motion was made at PBAC to utilize one-time money to cover the new expenses that were already occurring. A copy of the resolution which passed unanimously was distributed. A second motion was made to recommend interfund borrowing not to exceed $600,000 from the Health Center Reserve and the Continuing Education Reserve to finance the unfunded needs in Academic Affairs. This motion passed 12 to 3. Dennis and Carol both spoke as to why they voted against the motion, primarily that the funds were being borrowed without a clear plan or source for repayment. A copy of the second motion was also provided to CRC. The PBAC recommendation will be forwarded to President Arminana.

The second item reported on by Larry was his memo to Don Farish about the Reentry Program. A copy was distributed.

ACTION ITEMS TO DATE
INFORMATION ITEMS TO DATE

Larry reviewed the updated list of Action and Information Items attached to the agenda.

AARCC/CRC CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

This agenda item was requested by Dennis who was concerned about the balance of the PBAC given the addition of AARCC and CRC members. AARCC appointed four faculty to the committee who were not previously on PBAC, whereas CRC named three representatives, two of whom were already serving on PBAC in other roles (Tracy as A.S. President and Carol as Staff representative). Dennis was concerned that he was the only member specifically representing the interests of Administration and Finance. There was discussion of the need for more representation from AFD, as Larry must, in the PBAC setting, assume the role of Chief Financial Officer of the University, rather than an advocate for the needs of his division. After much discussion, the CRC by consensus asked Larry to ask the President to name Letitia Coate, University Controller, as another CRC representative to the PBAC/Conference Committee.

STEVENSON SOFFITT PROBLEM

John Bond distributed pictures of several problem areas identified at Stevenson Hall, brought to light by the seismic retrofit program. Many of the concrete joints are breaking down and pose a safety hazard. A permanent fix would cost in the neighborhood of $500,000. We will continue to seek funding from the Chancellor's Office for this. However, because of the safety issue, a temporary solution is needed. Facilities will be securing the trouble spots with chicken wire. The cost of this temporary solution is $20,000 and will be charged to the University Reserve. The reserve is now depleted.

There was discussion about the exterior appearance of Stevenson and Darwin Halls. There was consensus that painting the buildings is not a good idea. John was asked to look into the cost of steam cleaning the concrete.

STORES TO ENTREPRENEURIAL ACTIVITIES

Alan Murray reviewed his recommendation to consolidate the Campus Stores function with Sonoma State Enterprises in the hopes of improving the service and price to the campus, and to hopefully reduce the need for departments to buy directly from off-campus sources. No personnel will be displaced by this change.

MOTION

(Harris/Barrier) to approve the move of Campus Stores to the Enterprises as outlined by Alan.

ANALYSIS OP BUDGET GROUPS I AND II REVISED

Larry provided additional detail of the "supplies" categories. The supply line item, particularly in the Foundation, has been a "catch-all" for a number of mandatory expenses that are really not supplies at all. Dennis suggested that it would be helpful to have a common budget language used across the departments. Larry asked Steve to work with the Budget Staff to do this.

ENHANCEMENTS TO HUMAN SERVICES

Larry reviewed and the committee discussed a list of seven challenges facing the Human Services Cluster. One of the issues is the increased workload associated with the "pay for performance" plan included in most of the bargaining agreements. Since a recruitment is currently underway for a Payroll Technician to replace Mila Chase, who recently resigned, Larry stated that this would be a good time to hire two, rather than one, and save a second recruitment. He proposed to fund the position from the AFD reserve. The O.K. concerns are valid, however, Edna was asked to review her existing O.K. and attempt to solve the shortage through reengineering of' her current budget. Issue 3, "Viability of Creating Compensation Specialists," was deferred pending further analysis. Some comments were made that perhaps additional staff, rather than higher classifications, would better address the need. Issues 4, 5, and 6 were discussed but no action requested at this time. Regarding Issue 7, EHS Audit Recommendations, Larry asked Edna to continue with the crosstraining assumed with the implementation of the COPPS program, to begin to address the EHS concerns. He said the EHS Audit issue would be revisited in January for a progress report.

MOTION

(Cinquini/Barnier) to hire an additional Payroll Technician from the current recruitment, funding the position from the AFD reserve.

OPEN FORUM - ITEMS FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSITY

Melinda mentioned that the friendly reminder notes being used by the Public Safety Officers were very well done and suggested that they also be utilized by the Custodial and EHS staff.

Barry asked if an ashtray could be placed at the Stevenson Dock, because smokers are throwing their cigarette butts on the ground there and it looks terrible.

Lynn said that a meeting was planned for Monday regarding the bulletin boards.

Dennis said that for the good of the University, the PBAC should plan for a better reserve next year.

DRAFT AGENDA: NOVEMBER 3, 1995

The draft agenda was distributed. Carol asked that the topic "Staff Classifications" be agendized for a future meeting.

CRC Minutes 1995-1996
Updated 2007-12-17
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu