Education Specialist Clear Induction Program at Sonoma State University
The Educational Leadership and Special Education (ELSE) Department is pleased to announce that we have preliminary approval from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) to offer a Clear Education Specialist Induction Program.
What does this mean for you?
All teachers are initially issued a preliminary credential, which must be "cleared" within a period of time after it is earned. The induction process has been designed based on research that indicates that teachers are more successful, and that they stay in the profession longer when they have been provided support during the early years of their career. The CTC has given candidates holding a Preliminary Education Specialist Credential two options to receive early career support and clear their credentials: Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA), or a university based induction program. Now that SSU has an approved program in special education, you can pick us to complete your induction into the profession of teaching!
Advantages of the SSU Induction program over BTSA include:
- The option to clear your credential even if you are not employed as a teacher.
- A one-year timeline to complete the clear credential.
- Coursework aligned with our master's degree program in special education; you can earn 12 of the 30-36 units you need for the MA by completing induction.
- Core induction courses offered in a hybrid format;
- Come to campus on 5 Saturdays, do the rest of the work online.
- (This will account for 6 of the 12 units you need to complete for induction).
- Supportive professors and rigorous instruction, similar to what you enjoyed as a SSU credential candidate.
We will offer the Clear Education Specialist Induction Program at SSU for the first time in the fall semester of 2014. Find more information and an application on our website: http://www.sonoma.edu/education/else/clear-induction-es/index.html We will be taking applications until August 10. We hope you will consider being a member of our inaugural cohort of clear credential candidates!
Please contact Dr. Jennifer Mahdavi (email@example.com) with any questions you have about this exciting new opportunity.