Program Requirements

Admission Requirements

Admission to the program is based on the standard CSU transfer requirements: 60 semester units of transferable college-level work with a C average, completed by the end of the semester before enrollment in the program. (Summer and Winter Intersession not included). Thirty of these units must be in general education at a C or better, including A1 (Speech), A2 (Composition), A3 (Critical Thinking) and beginning Spring 2014, B4 (Math/Quantitative Reasoning). Entrance requirements can be in progress or planned when you apply, but they must be completed by the end of the Fall or Spring semester preceding enrollment.

Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate, you must:

Additional Coursework

Students need 120 units to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree from this program. Our major coursework comes to 40 units; the Program Advisor will work with students individually on their remaining requirements, if any. If you do require additional units, here are some of the available options:

Community Colleges offer an inexpensive alternative for gathering units. Up to 70 units can be applied towards your BA. Check with a counselor at your chosen college to make sure your courses are transferable, or visit the ASSIST website at

Some local community colleges include:

Extension Classes and Certificate Programs. Up to 24 units of extension academic credit coursework may be counted towards your degree. These may be either SSU Extension classes or from another (accredited) institution. In order to qualify, a class must award academic units, not continuing education units or hours (CEUs).

Certificate programs for career and professional advancement--such as the Conflict Resolution program at SSU--are also offered through Extended Education, and frequently award academic units.

Open University. If there is space in any regular campus class offered at SSU, you may pay the per-unit Extension fee and enroll without going through a formal application process. Simply go to the first class, and if there's space, have the professor sign the registration form. For more information, see the Open University website.

Open University can also be used for independent study options in any department if first make arrangements with a sponsoring faculty member.

Distance Learning Courses. Many colleges offer these courses. Visit the California Virtual Campus website at for a list of accredited California colleges with distance learning programs. Other resources include the Peterson's Guide to Distance Learning, and the educational section of some search engines. Before enrolling in a distance learning course, make sure it is from an accredited college. and check with the Program Advisor that it can be accepted for academic credit.

Credit By Examination. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) administers tests in various subject areas, mostly at the lower division level. Some of these can be used to fulfill General Education requirements. Contact the Program Advisor for registration information. Up to 30 units may be counted towards your degree.

In addition, some academic departments have challenge exams available for general education coursework. For example, U.S. History and California Government statutory requirements can be fulfilled this way. Check with the appropriate department if you are interested in challenging a GE requirement.

Credit for Military Service. If you have had one year or more of active service, and are able to provide a DD214, you are eligible to receive 6 units of lower-division elective credit. If you have had military schooling, additional credits can be awarded. For more information, contact Veteran's Affairs at 707/664-2619.