Tony Mountain - Forty Years at Sonoma State University

tonymountain.jpgBy Dr. Anthony Mountain

I'm staggered at how short my 40 years at SSU now seem. However, I often walk around the campus and each time I'm reminded that things can change over four decades. Still, the spirit of George Smith, the man who put in place the first campus landscape, remains honored: additional roads, buildings, walkways have not disturbed the beautiful SSU campus he initially placed here.

California State College, Sonoma, as it was then named, was considered an innovative member of the State system, and, being in the Hutchins School, I have had the privilege of being a part - a modest part - of that innovation.

It's impossible for me to talk about Sonoma State University without talking about the Hutchins School. Regardless of what else we are teaching in Hutchins, we are always addressing learning itself and addressing it directly, closely with students.

By the word "learning" I mean "your learning" and "yours" and "yours" and how it can be made richer and how you yourself, long after you have left here, can make it richer throughout your life. We can do this, so eventually, you can do this. It's what Hutchins and what SSU can give to you, what we are honored to give you.

It's been a wonderful 40 years.

A combined party for both Dr. Anthony Mountain and Dr. Barbara Lesch McCaffry will be held on Wednesday, May 11, from 4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. in the University Art Gallery. The Hutchins School of Liberal Studies invites all to attend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED STORIES

* "Retirement Party for Drs. Mountain and McCaffry" SSU NewsCenter, May 9

* "Looking Back on the Career of Barbara Lesch McCaffry" SSU NewsCenter, May 9

This Month's Events

Subscribe to SSU NewsCenter

Connect