SSU's New Miss Sonoma County Wants to Be a Teacher

misssonomacounty.pngWearing a beautiful long red lace gown, 19-year-old Skylaer Palacios, a Sonoma State University student, happily accepted her crown and the title of Miss Sonoma County recently.

She is the 68th person to win the crown, many of whom have been SSU students. Her platform was "Social Growth through Cultural Diversity."

Palacios is currently in the Hutchins program and is studying for her multiple-subject credential. She wants be a primary school teacher.

As Miss Sonoma County, she hopes to gain more knowledge about Sonoma County and the area she lives in, " I have lived in Sonoma County my whole life, but there is still much to learn," Palacios says.

singing2.jpgPalacios says she has gained more confidence as an individual and has become a "well-rounded speaker and person."

She says her inspiration comes from her mother whom has taught her that "a person can never stop growing and improving themselves."

Aside from the pageant Palacios has three main passions, which are dancing, singing and sleeping.

"These are things I cannot live without" she says, " I love these three things so much that it would literally lessen my quality of life if I couldn't do them anymore."

Palacios is also enrolled in the Santa Rosa Junior College where she is currently enrolled in a dance program and a hip-hop club. Although she is not involved in clubs in Sonoma State University, she says that she finds interest in Blue Barons (a hip-hop dance club), Blacks Scholar's United and the Rock Climbing Club.

A resident of Healdsburg, she was awarded a $1,200 scholarship and will represent Sonoma County at the Miss California competition in Fresno in June. As Palacios prepares for this, she says she is very excited to start working with her vocal coach for the first time.

This Month's Events

Subscribe to SSU NewsCenter

Connect