- Free pdf reader:
- Free postscript interpreter:
- Free postscript viewer: Ghostview
- Free implementation of LaTeX eg: MiKTeX
- Plain text editor, eg: Notepad or much better the LaTeX adapted:
- Download ADOBE READER
You must register first to be able to download
- For downloading and related instructions to use
- Use this site to download
PUTTY; after downloading just click on the executable file and specify the
server's name. Choose "SSH" option.
- R-project: http://www.r-project.org/
Introduction to GnuPlots
Introduction to R-Project
Introduction to Mathematica
- There are many good examples
TOM Server you can convert many different formats
- Converting from MSWORD to PDF:
- Install one of the standard printers that comes with MSWORD (Apple Color
- Print the file by setting the printer to Apple and print into a FILE (filename.prn)
- Then open the file using
- In gsview32 use choose FILE->CONVERT and then press OK. Save the file
- You can down load the Acrobat Reader for free from
- Generating Postscript file using VISIO:
- Save the PAGE as Encapsulated Postscript File (*.eps)
- Set PROFILE: Standard Options - AL
- - Color Translation: Normal
- Line Cap Mode: Device
- - Check Include All Format BOX - set to "3"
- In LateX heading make sure you have the following statement:
- When Completed, press DVI then DVI->pfd
- In MS EXCEL you can convert columns to
rows by copying and using "Special paste"->Transpose
GVIM; This is a good link containing many commands
Generating postscript from Windows (I made some changes to
Install a Postscript Printer Driver
Choose a printer port. (I recommend FILE but LPT1 is OK.)
Name your printer and decide if you want it to be your default printer.
Choose NO for printing a test page because you don't really have
Click Next and you will be prompted to insert your Windows 98/95
Viola! You got yourself a new printer driver. Now look at your printer
folder. Right click on your new printer and choose properties.
Click Paper tab and choose Letter unless your standard paper
Click PostScript Tab. In the PostScript output format box,
choose PostScript(optimize for portability - ADSC). Note: you
can also create an EPS file by choosing Encapsulated PostScript (EPS).
This file can be used as an image in LaTeX.
NOTE:----->>> Under PostScript Language Level change it to 1.
That's all you need to setup the printer driver. However, you can
experiment with other options and see what what you get. Click
OK when you're done.
NOTE: ----->>> Sometimes generating an EPS
file directly will create a big box around the figure. To fix this problem do
Unless you already have a postscript printer driver installed, follow these
instructions. Even if you already have one, you may add another one for pdf
purpose only. You don't need to have the actual printer.
- Click Start -> Settings->Printers or double click
My Computer->Printer. Then your printer folder will show up.
- Double click Add Printer
- In Windows 98, Add Printer Wizard window will pop up. (Windows 95
should have something similar.) Click Next.
- Choose Local printer. Click Next.
- Choose a postscript printer driver. How? Choose one with "PS" or "PostScript"
attached to its name. It is a good idea to choose a color postscript printer
because you might want to make a colorful PDF file. For example, HP
PaintJet XL300 Postscript will do the job. I myself use to use
Tektronix Phaser 220i. (There is no "PS" or "PostScript" in it, but this
driver helped me first discover how to make postscript files from windows
applications; however, the unprintable area for printer is quite large.)
However, I recommend Tektronix Phaser 300i. It doesn't have a
large unprintable area like Tektronix Phaser 220i does. Moreover, it
doesn't have the color changed problem like HP
PaintJet XL300 Phostscript does .
- Stephen has reported that HP Laserjet 8150 PS driver gives even
better results. "I
got better results with an HP Laserjet driver (the Laserjet 8150 PS)
because my original Word document used Garamond 12 font. This font was
rendered poorly with the Textronix driver and other HP's I tried. I think
the reason may be that of the ones I tried, only the 8150 used "Postscript
Language Level 3"; the others used level 2 (whatever that means)."
- Thomas suggested HP Laserjet 5500
drivers work very well if you want color. "I
found that the HP Color Laserjet 5500 gave excellent results - no other I
found could do a large A3 colour pdf..." The driver can be
- Save the file as xxx.ps
- Open the file using gv
- Convert the file into yyy.eps (PS to EPS - Option)
- Use the EPS format!
this for more
Interesting Quotes (that I like)
- "You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." Richard Buckminster Fuller
- Environment and Culture: In order to survive, humans must provide for their material, emotional and intellectual needs. These are satisfied by culture
A complex system that includes tools, language, arts, and believes. Cultures vary because they must be compatible with their supporting environments. Thus different climates, terrains sources of food evoke different cultural responses. - Royal BC Museum, Victoria, Ca.
Respect the cultural differences. Preserve humanity and justice.
Some good books.....
Artists (my favorite ones)
1- A talented unknown painter with lots of potential; we call her IM.....