Guidelines and Assessment Rubric for your In depth Research Study
Approximate length 2000 words, it may be longer
(the rubric can be found at the end of this page)
Your paper will have the following sections:
1. Introduction: Here you present the purpose of the study and the reasons why you chose this topic. (Some reasons: social relevance, theoretical relevance, personal history, fill in gaps in existing knowledge....) Here you can bring in the concepts and information from the course readings, your own experience, statistical background information, etc. Make sure you state your question clearly. This will help you guide your library research.
2. What did I find in my library research? Find at least three scholarly articles in peer reviewed journals that provide interesting information related to your topic. Present this information in your paper. Make sure you cite your sources and that you paraphrase.
3. In addition to the research articles use other sources, such as books, websites, encyclopedias, or other types of journals
4. A brief final conclusion: Restate, what was your question? What did you find? What implications do your findings have for everyday life?
4. Bibliography. Present in alphabetical order. Use APA Style.
(Maximum 80 points)
Please note that you have to cite all your references in the text, and you have to list your sources in the Bibliography. If no sources are cited in the text, or if you don't list your sources, the grade on the paper will be an F.
Introduction (16 points)
Library Research: Scholarly Articles (20 points)
Library Research: Other sources (9 points)
Use of other sources, such as books, or other types of journals
Final Conclusion (4 points)
Quality of Writing (16 Points)
Please check this website http://www.criticalthinking.org/articles/universal-intellectual-standards.cfm
for criteria for good writing:
Bibliography (10 Points)
a) Presented in alphabetical order
b) APA Style
Self-assessment using assessment rubric (copy and paste this rubric at the end of your paper, for each section give yourself the points that you think you deserve) (5 points)