Phi Alpha Theta
Join the pi zeta chapter at Sonoma State University!
Phi Alpha Theta is composed of chapters in properly accredited colleges and universities. All students in these institutions who have completed the required number of history courses and are maintaining high standards in their college or university studies are eligible for membership. Phi Alpha Theta is a professional society whose purpose is to promote the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication, and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. It seeks to bring students, teachers, and writers of history together both intellectually and socially; and it encourages and assists historical research and publication by its members in a variety of ways.
S.S.U. Pi Zeta Chapter Activities
- Sponsorship of Women’s History Month lecture series
- Noontime presentations by faculty and students on diverse subjects
- Multi-year champions of the SSU College Bowl trivia game
- Guided field trips to museums and other sites of historical interest
- Hatshepsut exhibit at the De Young Museum
- Fort Ross
- Gaye LeBaron and Jack London collections at SSU library
- Scholarship opportunities
- Certificate of participation and membership card
- Subscription to The Historian journal
- Honors regalia at graduation (in addition to SSU’s)
- Opportunity to present papers at regional conferences
- Networking, fun, and fellowship with other students
- BA students (not limited to History Majors): 12 units in History at 3.1+ GPA; 3.0 overall
(If you are a senior you MUST apply the semester before graduating! This way we can make sure your application is accepted early enough for you to purchase the honors regalia.)
- MA students: 12 graduate units in History; 3.51+ GPA
- There is a one-time membership fee of $40; we accept personal checks.
- This fee is paid AFTER your application has been accepted and your GPA has been verified.
- Membership applications or in the History Department office, Stevenson 2070.
- Please return applications to the History Department office, Stevenson 2070.
- Do NOT attach payment to your application as we will need to verify your GPA.
- Applications are due the 3rd Thursday of October at 12pm (Fall induction); 3rd Thursday of March at 12pm (Spring induction).
The Pi Zeta Chapter meets bi-weekly during the semester. All SSU students, faculty, and staff are welcome to attend.
For information about Phi Alpha Theta at Sonoma State University, please contact Professor Kathleen Noonan via e-mail or at 707-664-2959.
General information is available at www.phialphatheta.org.