Federal Work-Study

Flowers with carpenter bee from Lot M

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time job opportunities for eligible students. It is an opportunity to offset educational expenses and provides valuable experience. This is money you have to earn, usually by working on-campus. You are paid once a month for the hours you work and you may earn up to the amount listed your on financial aid award for FWS.

Who’s Eligible?

To be eligible for placement in a work-study position, you must have FWS listed on your award offer. If you were not initially offered FWS but are interested in having it, contact the Financial Aid Office (FAO) to see if you may qualify, and how to obtain it.

Finding a Job

You must secure your own FWS position by contacting the employer, applying for a position, and being hired. Available positions can be found the following ways:

  • You can look in the Job Binder in the Career Services office located in Salazar Hall.
  • Check the Career Services website.
  • Inquire in person at department offices around campus.

Career Services' phone number is (707) 664-2196. You may be asked to submit a resume to the job you are applying for. Career Services can also help you with writing your resume. If you plan to find a work-study position, the sooner in the semester you locate a position, the better. If you do not begin working a FWS position, your award may be cancelled.

Accepting/Declining Your Work-Study

For information on accepting or declining your work-study award, please visit our section Accepting/Declining Your Student Loans and Federal Work-Study in the Help Book.

Reducing Work-Study

If you wish to reduce your work-study award, you must complete and submit a Change Notification Form (CNF) to our office for the correct academic year.

Once You’re Hired

When you are hired, your employer will complete a Student Employment Form (SEF). You must document that you are eligible to work in the United States.

Employment Starting Dates:

  • August 25, 2015 for Fall and academic year awards
  • January 25, 2016 for Spring semester only awards

Employment Ending Dates:

  • December 18, 2015 for Fall semester only awards
  • May 20, 2016 for Spring and academic year awards

Payment of Work-Study Earnings

You are expected to record your hours worked each day on a work-study voucher. Your employer will report your earnings at the end of each month. You will receive your paycheck around the 15th of the following month. The Student Employee Payroll Calendar located at the Payroll & Benefits website will show each pay period during the academic year.

You and your employer are expected to monitor your earnings. You may not earn more than the total amount of your work-study award. If you want to increase your work-study allotment for the year and your department has sufficient funds to extend your employment, contact the FAO to request an increase. Your Financial Aid Representative will determine whether or not this is possible.

Community Service Opportunities Using Work-Study

University Support and Preparation Services (Academic Talent Search and Upward Bound)

This position involves providing academic and tutorial support to high school students attending Pre-College Programs. For information, contact University Support and Preparation Services at (707) 664-2428.

Center for Community Engagement

Some Federal Work-Study jobs may be available for this program.

NASA E/PO Program

Some Federal Work-Study jobs may be available for this program.